Triple Negative Breast Cancer
About 15% of all breast cancers are found to be triple-negative. This means that the cancerous cells have tested negative for all three receptors, including estrogen (ER-), progesterone (PR-), and HER2- (human epidermal growth factor receptor negative). Having negative test results means that the growth of the tumor is not supported by the hormones estrogen and progesterone, nor by the presence of HER2 receptors. Because of this, triple-negative breast cancers do not respond to the generally prescribed hormonal therapies such as tamoxifen or arimidex, nor to therapies that target the HER2 receptors such as Herceptin, making them difficult for conventionally-minded doctors to treat. “Triple negative breast cancer does not have these receptors and so much less in known about what makes it grow. Thus, it can be difficult to treat successfully. There are fewer treatment options available – hormone therapy, such as Tamoxifen, and most targeted therapy drugs, like Herceptin, are of no benefit.” Says Dr Emma Pennery, Clinical Director at Breast Cancer Care.
Triple negative breast cancers are most likely to occur in pre-menopausal women aged 40 or 50, and are more common in African-American and Hispanic women, and in those who carry the BRCA1 gene mutation. Triple-negative breast cancers are also more invasive than other forms of the disease with tumors that grow more aggressively, appear to spread to other parts of the body faster and have a tendency to reoccur more often. Women with triple-negative cancer have lower five-year survival rates than other breast cancer patients, with about 34 percent of treated patients experiencing a distant recurrence within 2.6 years following treatment. Additionally, current treatment models for triple-negative breast cancer are extremely limited. Because triple negative cancers are considered to be aggressive by conventional standards, they are often treated very aggressively with surgery, radiation therapy, and/or chemotherapy.
Some natural therapies that can be helpful for those with Triple Negative Breast Cancer
- Change your diet and you will change your internal environment: Cancer needs the right type of internal environment to grow and spread. You must eliminate all sugars, processed foods, fast foods, and adopt a whole foods, mostly plant-based diet of unlimited amounts of fresh vegetables and fruits, juicing fresh vegetables, making fresh fruit smoothies, including a variety of nut and seeds, along with some unprocessed grains such as including ezekiel bread, brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth. You should eliminate all dairy products and all red meats but this diet can include a minimal amount of organic eggs and wild-caught fish, as needed.
- Fresh vegetables- are some of the most nutrient dense foods that you can eat. Some cancer-fighters include bok choy, broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, collard greens, eggplant, green beans, kale, leeks, onion, peppers, radish, scallions, mustard greens, Swiss chard, tomatoes, summer squash, mushrooms, parsnips, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, butternut squash, and green peas, etc. Read an article on nutrient density.
- Fruits (eaten raw) -specifically target and cleanse the lymphatic fluids which is extremely important when you are healing from cancer. They contain antioxidants, flavonoids, and anthocyanins that can prevent an reverse cellular damage and reduce overall inflammation. Some powerful fruits to include are: berries such as blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, grapes, cherries, cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, papaya, lemons, limes, oranges, etc, and these can be eaten in unlimited amounts. Fruits are very easily digested, therefore they should be eaten about 1/2 hour before your main meals, or they can easily be blended into smoothies. One way to do this is to start your day with a big bowl of fresh fruit to cleanse the digestive system.
- Juicing is a great way to get large servings of vegetables into your body. Read more about juicing
- Making nutritious smoothies is another way to increase your servings of produce. Read more about smoothies
- Complex carbohydrates for this diet can include Ezekiel sprouted breads, brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth.
- Learn how to sprout nuts and seeds to increase their enzyme and nutrient content.
- Acceptable fats can include unrefined coconut oil, organic butter, ghee, and unrefined lard for cooking purposes, while olive, sesame, avocado, hemp and flax seed oils are for cold uses only.
- Exercise: has a direct impact on your lymphatic system and its ability to remove toxins from the body. Read more about this here
- Consider taking a quality iodine supplement such as J.CROW’S® Lugol’s Iodine Solution Adequate iodine supplementation helps the body to produce the hormones that it needs in the proper ratio. Many things can interfere with iodine absorption, including goitrogens, glutens, fluoride, bromide, pesticides, viral infections. Read more about iodine here.
- Selenium- the BRCA1 mutation is associated with having a higher risk for developing triple negative breast cancer. Taking a daily dose of 200 mcg of selenium basically eliminates the threat that is posed by the BRCA1 mutation putting these women on a level playing field with those who do not carry the BRCA1 mutation. According to the following study: “The frequency of chromosome breaks was greatly reduced following 1 to 3 months of oral selenium supplementation. The mean level of chromosome breaks in carriers following supplementation was similar to that of the non-carrier controls (0.40 versus 0.39). Therefore oral selenium is a good candidate for chemo-prevention in women who carry a mutation in the BRCA1 gene. Read more about this study here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=15894690.
- Vitamin D3: helps to regulate over 100 genes in the body. Researchers at the University of Albany in New York discovered that giving laboratory mice Vitamin D supplements suppressed several proteins that TNBC cells and basal-type breast cancer cells need to survive. Those with Triple Negative Breast Cancer have been shown to have the highest percentage of vitamin D deficiencies as well as the lowest overall levels. Read more about the benefits of vitamin D
- Iodine- serves many functions in the body. The immune system can’t function without it and you can’t fight infections without it. But its main job is to maintain the normal architecture of the endocrine glands, these include: the thyroid, breasts, ovaries, uterus, and the prostate, which is where many new cancer cases are occurring. Read more about supplementing with iodine for breast cancer.
- Curcumin: is a compound that is found in turmeric root. Numerous studies, including one in 2012 conducted through the University of Otago in New Zealand, have shown that this substance stops the growth of TNBC cells by inducing programmed cell death (apoptosis) of the cancerous cells. Read more about curcumin
- Bee Propolis: comes from honeybees. Caffeic Acid Phenethyl Ester (or CAPE) is a medicinal compound that is found in bee propolis. CAPE inhibits MCF-7 (hormone receptor positive, HR+) and MDA-231 (a model of triple negative BC (TNBC) tumor growth, both in vitro and in vivo without affecting normal mammary cells. Read more about this study
- Green Tea: Green tea contains a substance called epigallocatechin-3-gallate, or EGCG. This compound induces cancer cell death by restricting blood flow. It also prevents DNA damage with new research finding that EGCG may stop the production of breast cancer stem cells. Just one teaspoon of Matcha Tea is equivalent to drinking ten cups of regular green tea. Most green tea only has .42mg of EGCG per gram, but Matcha Tea has 57.4mg per gram. That gives this tea 137 times the cancer stem cell fighting ability. Matcha is available in a Powdered Form which means that your body can easily absorb all of its nutrients. Read more about green tea
- Blueberries: Blueberries contain phytochemicals which are plant-derived compounds that have protective or disease preventive properties. In a 2010 study published in the Journal of Cancer Research, researchers discovered that the phytochemicals found in powdered blueberries inhibited the growth and metastatic potential of TNBC cells. Read more about this study
- Medicinal Mushrooms- contain high levels of glycoproteins and polysaccharides. Research reveals that glycoproteins can help cellular communications in three ways. 1. they help your hormones perform their duties better. 2. they help receptor sites receive the messages they are supposed to receive 3. they help your immune system to be able to differentiate rogue cells from healthy cells Read more about medicinal mushrooms here
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids -help soothe cellular inflammation which is a significant driving force behind the development of cancer. Fatty acids are involved in the development of the nervous system, as well as making cell membranes more flexible, which gives the cells the ability to transfer oxygen and nutrients and to expel their waste properly. Read more about essential fatty acids here
- Milk Thistle– is a relative of the artichoke that has been recognized for its liver-protective properties. Milk thistle is the best known source of the compound flavonoid silymarin, which contains silybin. Silybin has been shown to inhibit growth and induce apoptosis in human breast cancer cells and HER-2/neu over-expressing (HER2+) mammary tumors in mouse models.
- Essential oils- have a very small molecular weight which allows them to be absorbed through the skin and circulate throughout the bloodstream. They are lipid soluble, which means they also have the ability to cross through the cellular membrane and heal the body at the cellular level. The Essential Oil Desk Reference, 4th Edition, says that “ essential oils are lipid soluble and can penetrate cellular membranes bringing an increase of 21% oxygen to the cells within 20 minutes of application.” Normal cell function can be reestablished when there is sufficient oxygen, and this also allows the cells the ability to once again expel their waste products.have the ability to can be used topically. Clove essential oil in particular is said to be oxygenating. Read more about using essential oils.
- Systemic enzyme therapy– this involves taking large doses of proteolytic (protein dissolving) enzymes on an empty stomach at various times throughout the day. The enzymes are utilized by the body for various functions, including breaking down the fibrin proteins that surround tumors allowing them to be recognized and destroyed by the immune system. Read more about enzyme therapy
- Cannabis Oil- research has shown that PR+, HER2-positive, and triple-negative breast cancers can be effectively treated with cannabis oil. The protocols recommended by those who have worked with patients recommend oils with higher THC-to-CBD ratios, often around 4:1 for this particular type of breast cancer. Read more about cannabis oil with this post.
- Supplements that build up the Natural Killer Cells of the body
Testimonial of treating triple negative breast cancer naturally
Read more articles from this series