Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural product resulting from the fermentation of apple cider into a vinegar. It has a long history of treating various aliments that dates back to the time of Hippocrates.
Some of the health benefits when taking ACV internally:
- Digestion- ACV adds to the acidic environment of the stomach which helps to break down foods for proper digestion. Drinking a mild tonic of ACV mixed with water right before a meal may help improve your body’s ability to absorb the essential minerals that can sometimes remain locked within foods.
- Candida remedy- the acetic acid found in ACV can help to regulate the presence of candida in the body while it helps to encourage the growth of healthy gut bacteria. Those with severe intestinal candida may find that their symptoms may actually worsen when they first begin taking ACV therapy, but this is only because the body’s detoxing mechanisms haven’t caught up to the sudden die-off of the yeast.
- Lowers blood pressure-Clinical studies have shown that ACV helps to lower blood pressure. Take 1 – 3 Tbsp in your water daily.
- Lowers HDL cholesterol levels. Take 1 – 3 Tbsp in your water daily.
- Reduces the glucose levels in the blood. In 2004, a study cited in the American Diabetes Foundation’s publication Diabetes Care found that taking vinegar before meals and dramatically reduced the insulin and glucose spikes that occur after eating. Take 1-3 Tbsp in your water daily.
- Naturally helps the body break down fats rather than storing them as cellulite. In this study, participants taking two tablespoons of vinegar prior to two meals per day lost an average of two pounds over the four-week period, with some losing up to four pounds.
- Enzymes- ACV is rich in enzymes that the body can utilize for the digestive process
- Alkaline- ACV helps to create an alkaline environment by leaving behind an acidic ash following digestion.
- Arthritis remedy- Mix 1 cup warm water with 2 Tbsp of ACV and 2 Tbsp of Blackstrap Molasses which is high in iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and copper, to relieve joint pain and stiffness from arthritis.
- Heartburn remedy- 2 T ACV mixed with 8 oz water taken before a meal can help to eliminate the need for heartburn medications. Many people also report having reduced symptoms of acid reflux after using ACV. This is because these conditions are often caused by too little stomach acid rather than too much, so taking common anti-acids is actually counter-productive for this type of condition.
- Diarrhea/constipation- can be used to improve several bowel irregularities such as diarrhea and constipation.
- Is a natural cure for gout- take 2-3 Tbsp mixed into 8 ounces of water, taken 2-3 times per day.
Apple Cider Vinegar therapy:
Always dilute the ACV with water as drinking it straight could damage the delicate lining of the esophagus. Begin this therapy by adding one cap-full of ACV into a glass of filtered water and then gradually work yourself up to consuming 3 cap-fulls mixed into your daily water..
- Helps to restore the natural pH of the skin and hair. Use as an astringent as it helps improve skin conditions such as acne and gives your complexion a smoother texture. Use a fine mist spray bottle and spray the skin and hair after taking a shower.
- ACV can also be applied directly to the skin or hair with a spray bottle to easily treat fungal infections such as athletes foot, toenail fungus, and dandruff.
- Remedy for a sunburn- just mix with water and mist on the area with a spray bottle, or add 1 C to your bath water and have a long soak
- Removes warts- soak a cotton ball and secure with a band aid or surgical tape. Do this two to three times per day until the wart comes off.
- Removes moles- follow the procedure for warts until the mole is removed. It is important not to pick at this but to let the mole come off on its own. This procedure may take several weeks.
- Can be used as a natural cure for yeast infections of the skin and scalp (ringworm) by spraying the area several times per day and allowing to air dry.
- Use as a natural deodorant- use a fine mist spray bottle or a cotton ball to apply to the armpit area.
- Can be used as a base for making herbal tinctures and tonics. Read how you can do this.
When purchasing apple cider vinegar you want to look for organic, raw (unpasteurized), unfiltered apple cider vinegar such as Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, which contains the dark, cloudy, web-like strands called the “mother” This vinegar has beneficial enzymes, vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, sulfur, and copper.