Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural product resulting from the fermentation of apple cider into a vinegar. It has a long history of treating various aliments that dates back to the time of Hippocrates.
When purchasing apple cider vinegar you want to look for organic, raw (unpasteurized), unfiltered apple cider vinegar such as Bragg’s which contains the dark, cloudy, web-like strands called the “mother” This vinegar has beneficial enzymes, vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, sulfur, and copper.
Clinical studies have shown that ACV helps to lower blood pressure and helps to regulate insulin levels. In 2004, a study cited in the American Diabetes Foundation’s publication Diabetes Care1 found that taking vinegar before meals significantly increased insulin sensitivity and dramatically reduced the insulin and glucose spikes that occur after meals. A follow-up study geared at testing vinegar’s long-term effects also revealed moderate weight loss. In this study, participants taking two tablespoons of vinegar prior to two meals per day lost an average of two pounds over the four-week period, with some losing up to four pounds.
The acetic acid found in ACV is a powerful purifying agent that can aid in the treatment of various fungal, bacterial, and yeast infections. Those with severe intestinal yeast problems (candida), may find that their symptoms will actually worsen when they first begin taking ACV therapy, but this is only because the body’s detoxing mechanisms haven’t caught up to the sudden die-off of the yeast.
Many people also report having reduced symptoms of acid reflux (heartburn) after using ACV. This is because these conditions are often caused by too little stomach acid– rather than too much, so taking common anti-acids as a remedy is actually counter-productive for this type of condition. As with other acids, the acetic acid found in ACV can also increase your body’s ability to absorb important minerals from the foods that you eat. Therefore, drinking a mild tonic of ACV mixed with water right before a meal may help improve your body’s ability to absorb the essential minerals that are locked within foods..
Apple Cider Vinegar therapy
Some of the health benefits when taken internally:
- Digestion- ACV adds to the acidic environment of the stomach which helps to break down foods for proper digestion
- Heartburn remedy- 2 T ACV mixed with 8 oz water taken before a meal can help to eliminate the need for heartburn medications.
- Diarrhea/constipation- can be used to improve several bowel irregularities such as diarrhea and constipation.
- Candida- can help to regulate the presence of candida in the body, it also helps to encourage the growth of healthy gut bacteria which helps to minimize the overgrowth of candida.
- Blood pressure- helps to lower blood pressure- take 1 Tbsp in a glass of water daily.
- Lowers HDL cholesterol levels- take 1 Tbsp in a glass of water daily.
- Reduce glucose levels in the blood- take 1 Tbsp in a glass of water daily.
- Naturally helps the body break down fats rather than storing them as cellulite.
- ACV is rich in enzymes that the body uses in the digestive process
- ACV helps to create an alkaline environment by leaving behind an acidic ash following digestion.
- Has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties so it can be sprayed onto the scalp to get rid of dandruff or onto the feet to get rid of athletes foot and toenail fungus.
- Mix 1 cup warm water with 2 Tbsp of ACV and 2 Tbsp of Black strap molasses which is high in iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and copper, to relieve joint pain and stiffness from arthritis.
- Is a natural cure for gout- take 2-3 Tbsp mixed into 8 ounces of water, taken 2-3 times per day.
- Helps to restore the natural pH of the skin and hair. Get a fine mist spray bottle and spray the skin and hair after taking a shower.
- ACV can also be applied directly to the skin with a spray bottle to easily treat fungal infections such as athletes foot, toenail fungus and dandruff.
- Remedy for a sunburn- just mix with water and mist on the area with a spray bottle, or add 1 C to your bath water and have a long soak
- Removes warts- soak a cotton ball and secure with a band aid or surgical tape. Do this two to three times per day until the wart comes off.
- Removes moles- follow the procedure for warts until the mole is removed. It is important not to pick at this, but to let the mole come off on its own.
- Can be used as a natural cure for yeast infections of the skin and scalp (ringworm) by spraying the area several times per day and allowing to air dry.
- Use as an astringent as it helps improve skin conditions such as acne and gives your complexion a smoother texture.
- As a natural deodorant- use a fine mist spray bottle and apply to the armpit area.
- Can be used as a base for making herbal tinctures and tonics. Read how you can do this.