“I write this in the hope that my experiences as a cancer survivor, and the things I have learned from reading on the subject of getting healthy will benefit others, whether they are newly diagnosed or just trying to prevent cancer from developing.” By, Sheila Herron
I first saw Dr. Burzynski and his amazing team back in September 2011, at his Houston clinic for a recent recurrence of my triple negative breast cancer. I had only planned to do a consult on that visit, but I met with Dr. B. and his team and I was encouraged to stay a few more days and do a complete work-up. The second day of my visit, I was given a PET scan, lab work and had an echo-cardiogram done. The PET scan showed that the cancer had metastasized to my spine at T-2, even though I was having no symptoms, no pain, and no idea that my cancer had spread. I was immediately started on Dr. Burzynski’s gene-targeted regimen.
On Dec. 22, 2011, (almost 3 months to the day of my initial visit), I had a repeat PET scan done which showed that the cancerous metastasis to my spine was gone. The radiologist compared the two PET scans which showed that all that remained of the tumor was healed bone, no evidence of any active cancer. In my case, the metastatic lesion spread to the T-2 vertebra of my spine, was completely removed in 12 weeks. I did not lose my hair, I had no organ damage, or radiation burns.
Financials: Since Dr Burzynski’s gene-targeted treatments have not been approved by the FDA, their treatments are not covered by insurance plans. My insurance plan covered some of the treatments that I received at his clinic but there is quite a bit of out-of-pocket expenses. If I were undergoing traditional cancer treatment, much more of my treatments would have been covered but I did not want to go the traditional route. I have been an RN for 34 years and have seen first hand the tragic consequences that can happen with traditional cancer treatments.
In order to pay for my treatments, I have sold off a portion of my retirement IRA. If need be, I would sell it all, as well as take out a second mortgage on my home. My rationale is this: what good will my retirement accounts do me if I am dead? If the “war on cancer” machine would just get out of Dr. Burzynski’s way or give him the necessary research grants and funding to continue his research, and if insurance companies would cover his treatments, then a true cure for cancer would be much closer to being found.
Dr Burzynksi does not claim to cure everyone of cancer, but his pioneering work in gene-targeted Antineoplastons treatments have pulled people back from the brink of death; people who had been written off by major cancer-fighting establishments.
FACTS: Our immune system is incredible, amazing and vastly powerful. The key to recovery, and to preventing cancer is to take care of our immune systems. Our bodies are bombarded by toxins before birth and every day of our lives.
- Pesticides cover our foods.
- Chemicals, drugs and hormones fill our meat, fish, milk, etc…
- We inhale chlorine into our lungs from the steam in showers, and absorb it into our skin.
- We don’t drink enough water,
- we don’t sleep enough,
- we don’t eat the nutrients our bodies need- grabbing the quick processed, chemical-laden fast foods instead.
- We are angry or stressed.
- We have a vitamin D-3 deficiency from not being in the sun enough.
- We get fat, which allows these toxins to be stored in our fat cells.
- We don’t exercise enough.
- We drink too much alcohol, or smoke.
- We drink sugar-filled chemical drinks called sodas, instead of clean, filtered water.
MY WARRIOR ARSENAL: We CAN heal our bodies, and we CAN stay well!! It doesn’t matter where one is on their journey; be it undergoing chemo or pre- or post-treatment, or going the naturopathic route. I am on this journey myself, the journey of a cancer-surviving life warrior. I call myself this because it is the attitude of self empowerment and action that can heal our bodies.
- Add organic Organic Turmeric to your foods.
- Drink several cups of organic green tea everyday.
- Don’t eat red meat, or if you do, eat only grass fed beef
- Eat small wild fish (toxins get stored in the fat cells of large fish).
- Eat lots of ORGANIC foods- include broccoli and cauliflower, eat as much of it raw, or lightly cooked, as possible.
- Read all food product labels.
- Get a juicer and juice carrots, kale, chard, broccoli stems, beets, etc…
- Make fresh organic fruit smoothies- include blueberries.
- Drink lots of filtered water with organic lemon in it (helps get the body alkaline. Cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment).
- Try not to eat ANY sugar or fructose. One soda can contain up to 13 teaspoons of sugar. Sugar decreases the efficiency of our immune systems for hours.
- Medicinal Mushrooms are wonderful for our immune systems.
- Get a filter on your shower and bath to eliminate exposure to toxic chlorine.
- Do all you can to decrease the toxin overload on your bodies.
- Get your Vitamin D-3 level checked by your doctor and take supplements to get it into the 60′s range.
- Spend time outdoors, in the sun (but don’t burn)
- Do some form of relaxation like meditation yoga, tai-chi, etc..
- Talk to God.
- Forgive everyone, release all grudges and resentments.
- Treat our bodies like the precious, amazing, miracles that they are.
- De-stress. If you feel yourself getting anxious or tense, rethink it, step back do slow breathing and calm it down. The fight or flight response is very, very bad for our immune systems.
- Visualize yourself, years from now, healthy and happy, disease free.
- Have an “attitude of Gratitude”, be positive, count your many blessings.
OTHER THERAPIES I USED
- I took Zyflamend 3 times per day, which has shown amazing cancer fighting properties and acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- I took Probiotics
- and Resveratrol
- I had a panchkarma detox by an ayurvedic practitioner and I highly recommend it.
- Consulted with a naturopathic doctor who specializes in cancer. He taught me about nutrition and supplements and therapies that would be helpful for me such as:
- Reiki therapy
LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE: Too many people are getting cancer these days, and the numbers continue to climb. I read recently, that one in 2 men get cancer, and 1 in 3 women. One is left stunned when they receive a cancer diagnosis, I think its because we believe that it wont happen “to me!!” It is like shock and awe, with waves of terror! Then you have time to regroup. It was the hand of cards I was dealt. I have learned not to sweat the things that I cannot change, I focus on what I CAN do. There have been many unforeseen and unexpected blessings from this journey. I have changed my life in many, many ways. I have forgiven everyone, by envisioning myself placing my hands on their cheeks, looking them in the eyes and telling them that I love them, and that I forgive them. I have given my cares to God. I listen to Louise Hay audio tapes and do positive affirmations. I pray and go to a marvelous Church. I have thanked my cancers (lung and breast) for all they have taught me, and have told them they can leave now. I am reading and learning and making healthy changes. I am peaceful and happy, and I know that all will be well. I feel part of, and connected with, a massive human family of people across the globe who are also going through this as I write this. We are NOT alone! We are powerful! You can take up the warrior mantle too. Read these books as a starting point, embrace the adventure, learn to grow and HEAL by making a few lifestyle changes or, better yet, stay healthy and avoid the cancer adventure altogether.
Cancer update 10/22/13- my PET scan was normal, no new cancer showing up anywhere, tumor marker blood test normal. Thank you God! Thank you Dr. Burzynski!!! Thank you all my other medical Angels!! Thank you all my friends and family for your amazing love an support and prayers on this journey. You are the wind beneath my wings!!! XXOOO Sheila
Sheila is featured in the Q & A with audience members after a recent screening of Burzynski Part 2.
Watch the trailer for Burzynski Movie #2
Sheila’s favorite books about alternative methods for cancer are:
Copyright © 2014 · All Rights Reserved · Cancer Compass~An Alternate Route. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Short excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cancer Compass~An Alternate Route and a link is then provided back to this content.