What is cachexia?
One of the most frightening symptoms of advanced cancer is cachexia (or wasting), which is a severe, unintentional loss of weight. According to the National Cancer Institute, “It is estimated that half of all cancer patients experience cachexia, which is the rapid loss of weight accompanied by fatigue, weakness, and a loss of appetite. Cachexia is a serious problem among many patients with advanced cancer.”
Cachexia is a vicious cycle that occurs when cancer cells consume blood glucose and produce a lactic acid by-product (acidic waste). This lactic acid is then sent to the liver where it is converted back into glucose which once again goes to feed the cancer. The more glucose in the blood, the more acid is produced…..and the cycle continues. This process is called gluconeogenesis and it consumes enormous amounts of energy. The cycle may eventually cause the body to start breaking down its own tissues in order to “feed” the cancerous tumors. Dr. Harold Dvorak, former chief of pathology at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, states “In a sense, nobody dies of cancer. They die of something else – pneumonia, or failure of one or more organs. Cachexia accelerates that process of infection and the build-up of metabolic poisons, this process causes death much faster than the tumor would.”
Lactic acid buildup can also be a contributing factor to cancer-related pain because of the irritation that it causes to the nerve endings of the body. So theoretically, if you can eliminate the buildup of acids, you might also be able to provide some relief from the cancer related pain. The following remedies are said to help eliminate the buildup of the lactic acid as well as provide fuel to the weakened cells of the body, and this may stop the deadly cycle of cachexia.
Supplements that can help to stop the cycle of cachexia
D-ribose– is a unique 5-carbon carbohydrate that is a fundamental building block of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the source of all cellular energy. Cancertutor.com states that anyone suffering from cachexia should begin taking D-ribose to help transfer energy to the weakened cells of the body. You can find D-ribose on Amazon.com.
- The standard dosage is 15 grams per day, taken in divided doses, but this dosage can be increased if needed.
- D-ribose combines safely with other alternative protocols.
MSM and liposomal vitamin C protocol for cachexia
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic sulfur-containing compound that is used to improve immune function, lower inflammation, help to neutralize lactic acid buildup, and bring oxygen to the cells. The Vitamin C is responsible for wound healing and immune system function, and in this case, it helps transfer fuel into the weakened cells of the body. In addition, when vitamin C is taken in high enough doses is selectively toxic to cancerous cells. The combination of vitamin C and MSM is said to be very helpful for those dealing with cachexia.
- The best way to ingest MSM is by making MSM water. This is done by mixing 1 gallon of purified (non-chlorinated/fluoridated) or distilled water with 16 tablespoons of Organic Sulfur Crystals in a glass container. Shake this mixture well and allow the MSM granules to fully dissolve for about one hour and then store this mixture in your refrigerator.
- The recommended starting dosage is 4-6 tablespoons of the water followed a half hour later by 2,000 mg of Liposomal Vitamin C.
- The water/vitamin C dosage is taken two or three times per day at the beginning, and then one can slowly start building up to taking 12 tablespoons of MSM water followed 1/2 hour later by 2,000 mg of vitamin C and doing this up to 5 times per day for those doing the full protocol.
- It is important to do a self test with 1 tsp of sulfur water to test for any allergies to the sulfur (this can include nausea or a rash) before starting any kind of protocol with MSM.
- You want to start with the lower dosages of the MSM water and then slowly build yourself up to higher dosages.
- It is important that you stay hydrated by drinking ½ of your body weight in ounces of purified water per day. (purified because the chlorine will neutralize the effectiveness of the MSM.)
- You should not take MSM if you are allergic to sulfur products, if you are on blood thinners, or taking aspirin.
- This protocol combines well with detoxing baths, saunas, and coffee enemas in order to assist the liver in clearing away any toxins.
Hydrazine Sulfate– is a compound that has the ability to shut down the enzyme that is responsible for producing glucose from the lactic acid byproducts produced by the cancer, thereby stopping the cycle of cachexia.
- Cancer Tutor lists this website as an online vendor of hydrazine Sulfate.
- A very specific diet protocol must be followed when taking Hydrazine Sulfate, you can read more about that and other contraindications with this link.
Magnesium– plays an important role in cell health and is an active component in more than 300 biochemical reactions within the body. Health benefits of magnesium include: maintaining normal muscle and nerve function, keeping the heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and helps to keep your bones strong. Magnesium can help to regulate blood sugar, lower blood pressure, and is involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. Magnesium also has the added benefit of helping to rid the body of excess lactic acid buildup. Optimal levels of magnesium can be achieved through supplementation, by taking a bath in 2 cups of Epson salts, or with transdermal application with Magnesium Oil. Taking oral magnesium may temporarily alkalize the stomach acids so it is best to take it on an empty stomach so that you don’t interrupt the digestion process, close to bedtime is actually preferable as it will help you to relax and sleep well. Acceptable forms of magnesium supplements include Magnesium Glycinate or Magnesium L-Threonate.
For Nutritional Support
- A shake that can help put weight back on: 2-4 raw pasture-raised eggs, 2 tbsp of almond butter, hemp protein powder, almond milk or coconut milk, fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 bananas, add ice and then blend until smooth. You can find more smoothie recipes with this link.
- Functional Formularies Liquid Hope: is a shelf stable organic, whole foods feeding tube formula/ meal replacement product.