“As the pH goes up the lactic acid goes down, which means the cancer activity is going down. The body repairs itself once it is given the stuff that it needs. Most doctors have no idea that nutrition has anything to do with cancer.” Dr Bernardo Majalca
Josie Nunez was featured on ‘The Incurables’ television series
1st juicing recipe (this was taken 2 x per day).
- 1/2 mashed avocado mixed together with 8 oz of freshly made carrot juice.
- Both of these are mixed together with a wooden spoon because metal can destroy some of the beneficial enzymes.
- The video below shows how to make this recipe following Dr Bernardo’ instructions.
- Josie was on a feeding tube at the time this video was made which required her family to have to filter the juice before giving it to her.
How Josie’s family made the avocado and carrot juice mixture which she had twice per day.
2nd juicing recipe (taken 2 x per day).
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 cup of raw broccoli
- 1/2 inch slice of fresh pineapple (not canned)
- 1/2 of a beet
- handful of cilantro
- 1/4 inch slice of ginger
- 1/2 inch slice of Daikon radish
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 5 asparagus spears
- run all items through a juicer
- Drink this juice with a straw, according to Dr Bernardo’s instructions.
- No conventionally-raised meat or dairy products
- No sugar, stevia is okay as a sweetener
- Nothing that is man-made; that means no fast foods, soda, candy, fries, sugars, regular pasta, regular bread, or packaged/processed foods of any kind.
- Eat as many organic green vegetables as possible (except for green peas).
- Grains: brown rice, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, and wild rice are the only grains allowed.
- 80% of your diet should be in the form of vegetables and the listed grains with only 20% meats. Acceptable meats for this diet include: wild caught fish non-scavenger fish such as cod, shark, snapper, sole, trout, and tuna. Organic meats include venison, buffalo, lamb, or a small amount of turkey
- You should include at least 2 servings of leafy greens in the form of vegetable side dishes, and a large green salad everyday.
- Raw vegetables are better than cooked. At least 50% of the vegetables should be eaten raw.
- Cooked vegetables should be lightly steamed only.
- The only oil that is allowed is extra virgin olive oil.
- Salad dressings are to be made with olive oil and vinegar, or olive oil with a squeeze of fresh lemon only.
- The diet includes juicing and blending of fruits and vegetables because this is an easy way to get many servings into your diet. This is especially true when working with sick children.
- Red potatoes are eaten with the skins on.
- Fresh homemade soups are good to eat.
- Eggs must be organic
- Butter must be organic and preferably made from raw milk (unpasteurized), if possible.
- Almond or goat milk only.
- Nuts and seeds are okay to eat.
- Sprouts are okay to eat, but should be eaten within 5 days.
- Sea vegetables are okay to eat.
- Allowable fruits: avocados, granny smith apples, lemons, and berries, and those berries can be eaten in unlimited amounts.
- A drink that will help a person put weight on (if this is an issue): blend together organic whipping cream, coconut milk, almond milk and a little stevia; this will taste like a vanilla shake.
- No sugar allowed, but you can use Stevia in place of sugar. Stevia is much sweeter than table sugar but it will not raise glucose levels like sugar does. When substituting for baking: for every cup of sugar, you will replace with either 1 teaspoon liquid stevia, or 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon of powdered stevia.
- If you bake you must use a gluten free mix instead of wheat flour. For example: pancakes can be made with buckwheat flour.
- Ezekiel sprouted bread is the only store-bought item that is allowed on this diet, or you can make your own bread with gluten-free mixtures. You can find Ezekiel bread in most grocery stores, Trader Joe’s, or at health food stores.
- You should drink lots of spring water with freshly squeezed lemon with a little Stevia to sweeten, if needed.
- Dr Bernardo recommended drinking 2 – eight ounce glasses of tea per day. Acceptable teas are Essiac Tea*, Gunpowder Green, pH tea, or Pau DArco. *There are precautions for using essiac tea for certain situations, you can read more about the contraindications on this page.
- Read much more about Dr Bernardo’s diet and lifestyle recommendations with this link
Testing her pH
Josie’s family started each day by measuring the pH of her saliva before she ate or drank anything using Ph paper. These testing strips can be purchased online or from a health food store. The first test of the day is taken immediately upon waking before eating or drinking anything, otherwise you must wait at least two hours after eating or drinking to ensure that the food that was consumed does not alter the test results. To test you should first cleanse the mouth by filling it with saliva and then either swallowing or spitting it out. Then fill the mouth a second time with saliva and place the test strip on the tongue for 10 seconds.
The testing strip will change colors based on the results. Use the insert from the package to determine the corresponding pH and continue to monitor this 4 times per day to get a clear picture of what is going on inside of your body. You will find that your pH may fluctuate throughout the day, this is normal. Additionally, it takes time to raise the pH, sometimes taking up to 12 weeks to move into an alkaline state.
Dr Majalca said that cancer thrives in a pH of 5.5 or lower. When Josie’s family first started testing her saliva it wasn’t even registering on the strip because the lowest mark was 5.5 and she was well below that. It took at least 3 weeks before Josie was able to register above the 5.5 mark and she slowly moved her way upwards. Dr Majalca says that when your saliva pH reaches 6.8 the cancer will stop growing, anything above that and the cancer begins to die. Their goal was to lift Josie’s pH to at least 7.2 – 7.4. It took a total of 8 weeks of being on a strict alkaline diet before Josie actually reached the 7.2 mark. She then had to hold herself at that level until she was confirmed to be cancer-free.
How to alkalize quickly
Dr Bernardo mentions a liquid supplement on page 2 of his e-book called Asea which he says can help to bring the pH up to 7.5 within 7-10 days. Perhaps this is something to think about if you feel the need to raise the pH quickly.
Another product that can help to raise the pH faster than diet alone is Swanson Alkalizing Formula, which could be taken a couple of times per day until the pH reaches 7.2-7.4.
Sodium bicarbonate can also be used to raise the pH by adding 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate (look for Bob’s Red Mill natural baking soda) to an 8 ounce glass of filtered water. This should be taken away from mealtimes as it will disrupt digestion, or taken at bedtime when you don’t have to worry about food intake. Limit sodium bicarbonate to 3 tsp per day. Read more about this and contraindications here: sodium bicarbonate and cancer
Dr Majalca mentions that 1 tsp of baking soda in a 4 ounce glass of water will quickly work to eliminate the lactic acid buildup that occurs around cancerous tumors, therefore it could be used as a natural pain reliever. Read more about this and contraindications here: sodium bicarbonate and cancer
Do not over-alkalize the body believing that this is a good thing. Just get to 7.2-7.4 where cancer cannot survive and the pH is balanced.
Minerals = Alkalinity in water
Josie drank about 30 ounces of spring water daily. For for an adult that would be equivalent to 10 glasses of water per day. Spring water does not contain the added fluoride or chlorine compounds that are found in municipal water systems which are harmful to health, and it has its natural minerals intact. Minerals is what makes this water to be more alkaline than standard tap water. Check out Find A Spring which is a national database to locate public access springs near you, or perhaps you can find spring water from your local store.
Another option would be to drink water that has been filtered with a reverse osmosis mechanism that has the minerals added back into it. Reverse osmosis water is acidic unless it is equipped with a final mineralization filter similar to this one. Regular maintenance is required on this type of filtration system, as the filters need to be changed regularly. If you are not a mechanically inclined individual, many companies offer to rent similar systems for a monthly fee and they will come to your home and do all of the maintenance for you. Check your business pages for more information.
Another way to adding minerals back into reverse osmosis water is to slice up 3 organic lemons along with a tsp of Himalayan Sea Salt to one gallon of water and storing this in the refrigerator. I also add a little stevia or raw organic honey to this in order to make it more palatable.
Water can be made alkaline by adding 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to an 8 ounce glass of filtered water. This should be taken away from mealtimes as it will disrupt digestion, or taken at bedtime when you don’t have to worry about food intake. Limit sodium bicarbonate to 3 tsp per day. Dr Majalca mentions that 1 tsp of baking soda in a 4 ounce glass of water will also work to eliminate the lactic acid buildup that occurs around cancerous tumors, therefore it could be used as a natural pain reliever. Read more about sodium bicarbonate and cancer
Adding Organic Wheat Grass Powder to your water is another way to add minerals and make filtered water become more alkaline.
Sunlight and fresh air
Her family reports that Josie had access to plenty of fresh air and sunlight everyday. This means that her body was naturally producing vitamin D from that sun exposure. Spending a short time in the mid-day sun (30 minutes) can produce the equivalent of 10,000 IU or more of vitamin D. People looking to use the sun for vitamin D manufacturing should have at least 20 minutes of high noon sun exposure, per day, without the use of sunscreens as they will reduce the bodies ability to produce vitamin D by 95%, and most contain harmful chemicals which are absorbed into the skin. The key here is sensible sun exposure, you don’t want to burn. Read more about vitamin D.
Josie’s cancer is healed
Josie’s family reports she had been scheduled to have another MRI when she was released from care and they decided to keep that appointment. To everyone’s astonishment, the MRI showed that the tumor had shrunk by 75%. Josie continued on with the fresh vegetable juices and the rest of her diet program until the results from additional MRI’s confirmed that the tumor was completely gone. Her family received the amazing news on February 3, 2009, approximately one year after her original diagnosis.
Following healing, one should continue to eat a healthy, anti-cancer diet to prevent the cancer from returning. Never go back to your old ways of eating or return to the lifestyle that created the cancerous condition in the first place.
Dr Bernardo Majalca– Dr Bernardo passed away in 2010. Please watch the video links that are posted below of Dr Bernardo discussing the treatment plans that he would prescribe for his patients, and then read his 16 page E-Book which details the diet that he would prescribe. You will find to that link at the bottom of the page.
Dr Bernardo Majalca, N.D. describes how he treats cancer by reversing the acidosis of the body and by addressing emotional issues.
Part 2 of Dr Majalca’s lecture on acidosis.
Dr Judy Seeger on pH and cancer. Contact info: http://judyseegerdetox.com/
More testimonials for alkaline diet
Josie Nunez Brain Cancer