“As the pH goes up, the lactic acid goes down, which means the cancer activity is going down. The body repairs itself once it is given the stuff that it needs. Most doctors have no idea that nutrition has anything to do with cancer.” Dr Bernardo Majalca
After months of experiencing a variety of symptoms and illnesses, eight year old Josie Nunez was diagnosed with a Medulloblastoma
of the brain and spine in February of 2008. She immediately underwent surgery to remove the massive tumor that was pressing against her brain stem, but a second tumor that was located on her spine could not be operated on due to its sensitive location and the high probability that complications could arise during its surgical removal.
After having a 6 week post-operative recovery period, Josie began six weeks of radiation and chemotherapy which was followed by a one month break and then a second round of chemotherapy which her doctors said would last for an additional 6 months. It wasn’t long before the second round of treatments began taking a toll on her little body and her parents reported that she was suffering from nausea, constipation, abdominal pain, severe anemia, leg paralysis, constant infections, fever, hair loss, burned skin and weight loss.
By the fourth month of treatment, Josie’s doctors said that her spinal tumor had disappeared, however she then relapsed with a second brain tumor. At this point, doctors recommended that her family make arrangements for hospice care and said they should make the best of their final days together.
Upon hearing the devastating news, Josie’s parents began frantically searching the internet for anything that could help their daughter and through a mutual friend they found Dr Bernardo Majalca, a naturopath practicing out of San Deigo, CA, who offered them hope as well as a natural cure for Josie.
When Josie first met with Dr Majalca she weighed only 40 pounds and was very weak. After assessing Josie, he determined that she wasn’t dying from the cancer but was actually dying from acidosis, and that only by addressing this issue would her body finally be able to heal. He then prescribed an alkalizing diet which included drinking 4 freshly made juices per day which would help her body to detoxify and also rebuild her immune system. He describes more about his treatment plans in the video links below, and in his 16 page E-Book,
which is also linked at the bottom of the page. Print this out and keep for your reference.
An introduction to Josie’s diagnosis as seen on ‘The Incurables’ television series
1st juicing recipe (this was taken 2 x per day).
- 1/2 mashed avocado mixed together with 8 oz of freshly made carrot juice.
- Both of these are mixed together with a wooden spoon because metal can destroy some of the beneficial enzymes.
- The video below shows how to make this recipe following Dr Bernardo’ instructions.
- Josie was on a feeding tube at the time this video was made which required her family to have to filter the juice before giving it to her.
How Josie’s family made the avocado and carrot juice mixture which she had twice per day.
2nd juicing recipe (taken 2 x per day).
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 cup of raw broccoli
- 1/2 inch slice of fresh pineapple (not canned)
- 1/2 of a beet
- handful of cilantro
- 1/4 inch slice of ginger
- 1/2 inch slice of Daikon radish
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 5 asparagus spears
- run all items through a juicer
- Drink this juice with a straw, according to Dr Bernardo’s instructions.
More on this diet
- You cannot eat any conventionally raised meat, dairy products, sugar, or anything that is man-made; that means no fast foods, soda, candy, fries, sugars, regular pasta, regular bread, or packaged/processed foods of any kind.
- Eat as many organic green vegetables as possible (except for green peas).
- Grains: brown rice, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, and wild rice are the only grains allowed.
- 80% of your diet should be in the form of vegetables and the listed grains with only 20% meats. Acceptable meats for this diet include: wild caught fish non-scavenger fish such as cod, shark, snapper, sole, trout, and tuna. Organic meats include venison, buffalo, lamb, or a small amount of turkey
- You should include at least 2 servings of leafy greens in the form of vegetable side dishes, and a large green salad everyday.
- Raw vegetables are better than cooked. At least 50% of the vegetables should be eaten raw.
- Cooked vegetables should be lightly steamed only.
- The only oil that is allowed is extra virgin olive oil.
- Salad dressings are to be made with olive oil and vinegar, or olive oil with a squeeze of fresh lemon only.
- The diet includes juicing and blending of fruits and vegetables because this is an easy way to get many servings into your diet. This is especially true when working with sick children.
- Red potatoes are eaten with the skins on.
- Fresh homemade soups are good to eat.
- Eggs must be organic
- Butter must be organic and preferably made from raw milk (unpasteurized), if possible.
- Almond or goat milk only.
- Nuts and seeds are okay to eat.
- Sprouts are okay to eat, but should be eaten within 5 days.
- Sea vegetables are okay to eat.
- Allowable fruits: avocados, granny smith apples, lemons, and berries, and those berries can be eaten in unlimited amounts.
- A drink that will help a person put weight on (if this is an issue): blend together organic whipping cream, coconut milk, almond milk and a little stevia; this will taste like a vanilla shake.
- No sugar allowed, but you can use Stevia in place of sugar. Stevia is much sweeter than table sugar but it will not raise glucose levels like sugar does. When substituting for baking: for every cup of sugar, you will replace with either 1 teaspoon liquid stevia, or 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon of powdered stevia.
- If you bake you must use a gluten free mix instead of wheat flour. For example: pancakes can be made with buckwheat flour.
- Ezekiel sprouted bread is the only store-bought item that is allowed on this diet, or you can make your own bread with gluten-free mixtures. You can find Ezekiel bread in most grocery stores, Trader Joe’s, or at health food stores.
- You should drink lots of spring water with freshly squeezed lemon with a little Stevia to sweeten, if needed.
- Dr Bernardo recommended drinking 2 – eight ounce glasses of tea per day. Acceptable teas are Essiac Tea* , Gunpowder Green , pH tea, or Pau DArco. *There are precautions for using essiac tea for certain situations, you can read more about the contraindications on this page.
- Read much more about Dr Bernardo’s diet and lifestyle recommendations with this link
Testing her pH
Josie’s family started each day by measuring her saliva pH before she ate or drank anything using Ph Test Strips. Test strips can be purchased online or from a health food store. The range for saliva pH is considered to be 5.6 to 7.9 according to the International Journal of Drug Testing. The first test of the day is taken immediately upon waking before eating or drinking anything, otherwise you must wait at least two hours after eating or drinking to ensure that the food that was consumed does not alter the test results. To test you should first cleanse the mouth by filling it with saliva and then either swallowing or spitting it out. Then fill the mouth a second time with saliva and place the test strip on the tongue for 10 seconds.
The testing strip will change colors based on the results. Use the insert from the package to determine the corresponding pH and continue to monitor this 4 times per day to get a clear picture of what is going on inside of your body. You will find that your pH may fluctuate throughout the day, this is normal. Additionally, it takes time to raise the pH, sometimes taking up to 12 weeks to move into an alkaline state.
Dr Majalca said that cancer thrives in a pH of 5.5 or lower. When Josie’s family first started testing her saliva it wasn’t even registering on the strip because the lowest mark was 5.5 and she was well below that. It took at least 3 weeks before Josie was able to register above the 5.5 mark and then she slowly moved her way upwards. Dr Majalca says that when your saliva pH reaches 6.8 the cancer will stop growing, anything above that and the cancer begins to die. Their goal was to lift Josie’s pH to at least 7.2 – 7.4. It took a total of 8 weeks of being on a strict alkaline diet before Josie actually reached the 7.2 mark, she then had to hold herself at the level until she was confirmed to be cancer free. Dr Bernardo mentions an liquid supplement on page 2 of his e-book called Asea which he says can help to bring the pH up to 7.5 within 7-10 days, something to think about if time is a concern for you.
Your goal is to reach 7.2 – 7.4 and then hold that level until the cancer is gone.
Fresh air, sunlight and spring water
Her family reports that Josie had access to plenty of fresh air and sunlight everyday. This means that her body was naturally producing vitamin D from that sun exposure. Spending a short time in the mid-day sun (30 minutes) can produce the equivalent of 10,000 IU or more of vitamin D. People looking to use the sun for vitamin D manufacturing should have at least 20 minutes of high noon sun exposure, per day, without the use of sunscreens as they will reduce the bodies ability to produce vitamin D by 95%, and most contain harmful chemicals which are absorbed into the skin. The key here is sensible sun exposure, you don’t want to burn. Read more about vitamin D.
Water- Josie drank about 30 ounces of spring water* daily. For for an adult that would be equivalent to 10 glasses of water per day. *Spring water does not contain added fluoride or chlorine compounds and it has its natural minerals intact which makes this water more alkaline than standard tap water. Check out Find A Spring which is a national database to locate public access springs near you, or you can find spring water from your local store.
Alkaline water recipes- Another option would be to drink water that has been filtered with a reverse osmosis mechanism and has the minerals added back into it. Reverse osmosis water is acidic unless it is equipped with a final mineralization filter such as this one. Regular maintenance is required on this type of filtration system as the filters needing to be changed regularly. If you are not a mechanically inclined individual, many companies offer to rent similar systems for a monthly fee and then they come to your home and do all of the maintenance for you. Check your business pages for more information.
Other ways to add minerals back into reverse osmosis water would be to slice up 2 organic lemons along with a tsp of Himalayan Sea Salt to one gallon of water and storing this in the refrigerator. You can add some stevia to this in order to make it more palatable.
Water can also be made alkaline by adding 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to an 8 ounce glass of filtered water. This should be taken away from mealtimes as it will disrupt digestion, or taken at bedtime when you don’t have to worry about food intake. Limit sodium bicarbonate to 3 tsp per day. Dr Majalca mentions that 1 tsp of baking soda in a 4 ounce glass of water will also work to eliminate lactic acid and therefore could be used as a natural pain reliever.
Josie’s cancer is healed
Josie’s family reports that they had scheduled her to have an MRI when she was released from care and they decided to keep that appointment. To everyone’s astonishment, the MRI showed that the tumor had shrunk by 75%. Josie continued on with the fresh vegetable juices and the rest of her diet program until the results from an additional MRI confirmed that the tumor was completely gone. Her family received the amazing news on February 3, 2009, approximately one year after her original diagnosis.
Dr Bernardo Majalca- Dr Bernardo passed away in 2010. Please watch the video links that are posted below of Dr Bernardo discussing the treatment plans that he would prescribe for his patients, and then read his 16 page E-Book which details the diet that he would prescribe. You will find to that link at the bottom of the page.
Dr. Bernardo Majalca N.D. describes how he treats cancer by reversing the acidosis of the body and by addressing emotional issues.
Part 2 of Dr Majalca’s lecture on acidosis.
JudyDetox.com and email: email@example.com
Dr Judy Seeger on pH and cancer. Contact info:
Link to Dr Majalca’s e-book for more information on diet and other therapies
Read an article on pH and cancer
Read an article on juicing
Read more about making smoothies
Read an article on sugar and cancer
Read Jessica’s story of healing terminal breast cancer with an alkaline diet
Megan Sherow heals brain cancer with a simplified raw vegan diet
Access the library of testimonials
Ph Test Strips Dispenser – .2 Intervals for Accurate Saliva or Urine PH Testing – Immediate Results
The Ultimate pH Solution: Balance Your Body Chemistry to Prevent Disease and Lose Weight
The Acid Alkaline Balance Diet, Second Edition : An Innovative Program that Detoxifies Your Body’s Acidic Waste to Prevent Disease and Restore Overall Health
Copyright © 2015 · All Rights Reserved · Cancer Compass~An Alternate Route.