Jessica Biscardi heals from stage 4 breast cancer that had metastasized to her pancreas and lungs with an alkaline diet.
In 2002, Jessica Biscardi had an appointment for a routine mammogram. The scans revealed that she had some suspicious micro-calcifications in her breast that concerned her doctors. A follow up scan was scheduled, and when she went in for the tests her doctors said that these calcifications were now areas of “grave concern.”
Jessica consented to undergo a biopsy which also included the removal of 4 lymph nodes. Further testing revealed that she had 4 tumors in her breast and that the cancer had also spread to her lymph nodes, pancreas, and to her lungs. She was told by multiple doctors that she needed to have a radical mastectomy followed by chemotherapy and radiation, but Jessica did not believe that the cancer could be healed with these methods. She continued searching for a second opinion, and eventually consulted with Integrative Oncologist Dr James Forsythe, who put her on a restrictive diet that was high in vegetables, along with various supplements and intravenous and oral doses of Poly-MVA which is said to disrupt the energy cycle of cancerous cells and leads to apoptosis (cancer cell death).
During this same time period, Jessica was working as an executive producer for a documentary film about healing cancer naturally. This project led her to meet with an alternative doctor by the name of Dr Bernardo Majalca who treated cancer through the implementation of a specialized diet. Upon meeting Jessica to discuss the film Dr Majalca recognized that she was very sick and offered to guide her on using this specialized diet as part of her healing plan. Jessica immediately began following the diet plan which eliminated all conventionally-raised meat and dairy products, sugars, flour, and all processed foods. She began eating abundance of fresh vegetables and drinking enzyme-rich juices and she was able to heal from the terminal cancer. Please listen to the video lectures below, read my notes below, as well as Dr Bernardo’s 16 page E-book that is linked at the bottom of the page for more information on the healing plan that Dr Majalca prescribed for his patients.
Jessica says that she never gave up on hope and faith despite the constant pain and disappointments that she experienced. She says, “I wanted to take the challenge to beat the cancer with every bit of strength, knowledge and research.” Jessica devoted her time to helping others and sharing information with people who were facing health challenges, she was also in the process of becoming certified as a Life Coach Practitioner. Jessica believed that “Cancer can be a scary word but not to those who will get in the trenches and fight, fight, fight and stay positive and affirm that you will get better, be informed, do as much research as you can, you are not alone.”
Jessica shares the details of her cancer diagnosis and the alkaline diet she used to cure her cancer
Dr. Bernardo Majalca N.D. describes how he treats cancer by reversing the acidosis of the body and by addressing emotional issues.
Part 2 of Dr Majalca’s lecture on acidosis.
More on Dr Bernardo’s diet
- You cannot eat any conventionally raised meat, dairy products, sugar, or anything that is man-made; that means no fast foods, soda, candy, fries, sugars, regular pasta, regular bread, or packaged/processed foods of any kind.
- Eat as many organic green vegetables as possible (except for green peas).
- You should include at least 2 servings of leafy greens in the form of vegetable side dishes, and a large green salad everyday.
- The only oil that is allowed is extra virgin olive oil.
- Salad dressings are to be made with olive oil and vinegar, or olive oil with a squeeze of fresh lemon only.
- The diet includes lots of juicing and he had very specific recipes on page 7 of his e-book
- Raw vegetables are better than cooked. At least 50% of the vegetables should be eaten raw.
- Cooked vegetables should be lightly steamed only.
- Red potatoes are eaten with the skins on and yams are okay to eat.
- 80% of your diet should be vegetables with only 20% meats, and that meat is allowed when one needs to regain weight.
- Acceptable meats for this diet include: wild caught fish, organic meats such as venison, buffalo, lamb, or a small amount of turkey.
- Grains: brown rice, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, triticale, and wild rice are the only grains allowed.
- Beans and lentils- adzuki beans, black beans, and lentils are okay to eat.
- Fresh homemade soups are good to eat.
- Eggs must be organic
- Butter must be organic and preferably made from raw milk (unpasteurized), if possible.
- Almond or goat milk only.
- Nuts and seeds are okay to eat.
- Sprouts are okay to eat
- Sea vegetables are okay to eat.
- Allowable fruits: avocados, granny smith apples, lemons, and berries, and those berries can be eaten in unlimited amounts.
- A drink that will help a person put weight on (if this is an issue): blend together organic whipping cream, coconut milk, almond milk and a little stevia; this will taste like a vanilla shake.
- No sugar allowed, but you can use Organic Stevia in place of sugar. Stevia is much sweeter than table sugar but it will not raise glucose levels like sugar does. When substituting for baking: for every cup of sugar, you will replace with either 1 teaspoon liquid stevia, or 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon of powdered stevia.
- If you bake you must use a gluten free mix instead of wheat flour. For example: pancakes can be made with buckwheat flour.
- Ezekiel sprouted bread is the only store-bought item that is allowed on this diet, or you can make your own bread with gluten-free mixtures. You can find Ezekiel bread in most grocery stores, Trader Joe’s, or at health food stores.
- You should drink lots of spring water with freshly squeezed lemon with a little Stevia to sweeten, if needed.
Dr Bernardo’s general recommendations
- Patients were to drink two eight ounce glasses of tea per day. Acceptable teas according to Dr Majalca include: Essiac Tea (*note that essiac should not be used by those with brain tumors or other cancer where an initial swelling might create a life threatening situation. You can read more about the contraindications with essica tea on this page). Other recommended teas include Green Matcha Tea or Pau D’arco Tea, which has anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-parasitic, and anti-cancer properties. Read more about pau d arco tea.
- Along with the juicing recipes posted above his patients would juice 8-10 stalks of asparagus, or eat a can of asparagus daily.
- Drink 4 ounces of fresh wheatgrass juice twice per day
- Patients would take a variety of supplements to meet their individual nutritional needs.
- Patients would use coffee enemas to detox the body
- You can read much more about Dr Bernardo’s diet and lifestyle recommendations with this link
Dr Majalca passed away in 2010, please read his free E-book below for more information on his diet plan. It should be noted that once you have cancer you cannot assume that you can return to your pre-cancer ways of eating and living. The changes that you make are not temporary until you are well, but are to be continued forward.
The Alkaline Diet – The standard American diet (SAD) includes eating meals which are high in meat, dairy, soda, processed foods, poor quality fats, sugars, chemical additives, sodium, and is generally very low in nutrients; this is due to a lack of eating fresh fruits and vegetables which are the most nutrient dense foods available. When we consume the SAD diet we set ourselves up for disease by creating an ideal low-oxygen, acidic environment for cancer to grow.
pH refers to “potential of hydrogen” and is a measurement of whether your body is in an acidic, balanced or alkaline state. The pH scale runs from 1-14, with 7 being in the middle (or neutral). Anything lower than 7 would be within the acidic range, anything above 7 is within the alkaline range. People with a balanced pH are able to resist sickness and disease because their body is naturally able to fight it off. While people who are overly acidic or overly alkaline are more prone to sickness and diseases.
When you ingest foods and liquids, the end product after digestion and assimilation of nutrients will result in either an acidic or alkaline-forming effect – these end products are referred to as an acidic-ash or an alkaline-ash. All foods and beverages can then be considered either alkaline or acidic based on the ash that is left behind after digestion.
Acidic foods will add hydrogen molecules to the body therefore making your body more acidic, alkaline foods remove hydrogen molecules thus making your body more alkaline. Processed foods, sugar, salt, white flour, dairy, soda, and meats are all acidic. Diets which are based on these foods will cause your body to lose precious minerals from your skeletal system in an attempt to re-balance the pH. The standard American diet is highly acidic and this is why osteoporosis rates are so common in the US.
Acidic cells create an acidic body, and an acidic body is a precursor for disease. Some signs of excess acidity will include fatigue with general aches and pains. Acidosis is especially problematic because it interferes with normal cell function. An example of this is in the production of white blood cells which are essential for a strong immune system. Poor quality white blood cells are produced in acidic environments, making it easy for infections and diseases to take hold.
Dr Majalca explained in the video links that people with cancer have an acidic pH. He says that cancer thrives in a pH of 5.5 or lower, but when your saliva pH reaches 6.8 the cancer will stop growing, anything above that and the cancer begins to die. The goal was to lift Jessica’s saliva pH to at least 7.2 – 7.4 and to hold it there for several months until the cancer was completely gone
Using the Acid/ Alkaline Food Chart- Most of the foods that people are eating today fall into the acid-forming category. The quickest way to change your pH score would be to stop your consumption of the standard American diet and start eating a diet rich in fresh organic fruits and vegetables, and by juicing a variety of raw leafy greens such as kale, chard, spinach, watercress, and wheatgrass, along with other vegetables and fruits. In addition to juicing you can drink plenty of spring water with fresh squeezed lemon juice which leaves behind an alkaline ash following digestion. Make it your goal to eat 80% alkaline foods, with only 20% acidic. Use the food chart below to help guide your choices.
How to test your pH
You can test your pH level using pH Test Strips that are made for saliva. They can be purchased from health food stores or online and can be used as a measurement of what is going on inside of the body. The proper strip to purchase is a narrow or short range, which will measure from 5.0 to 9.5 or so.
To test the saliva: The first test of the day is immediately upon waking before eating or drinking anything, otherwise you must wait at least two hours after eating or drinking to ensure that the food that you have consumed does not alter your test results. First cleanse the mouth by filling it with saliva and then swallowing or spitting it out. Fill the mouth again with saliva and spit it onto a spoon, then place the test strip into the saliva for 10-15 seconds. The strip will change colors based on the results. Use the insert from the package to determine your results. You can perform this test 4 times per day to get a clearer picture of what is going on inside of your body. You may find that your pH fluctuates throughout the day, this is normal. Your goal is to register slightly more alkaline than acidic, around 7.2 to 7.4 for saliva, as it is at this level that oxygen is plentiful. Also it takes time to raise the pH, sometimes up to 12 weeks to become alkaline.
Dr Majalca said that cancer thrives in a pH of 5.5 or lower. He says that when your saliva pH reaches 6.8 the cancer will stop growing, anything above that and the cancer begins to die. Their goal was to lift Jessica’s pH to at least 7.2 – 7.4. She then had to hold herself at that level until she was confirmed to be cancer-free. Read more about acid/alkaline balance
How to test saliva and urine with pH strips
How to alkalize quickly
Dr Bernardo mentions a liquid supplement on page 2 of his e-book called Asea Water which he says can help to bring the pH up to 7.5 within 7-10 days. His recommended dose was 2 ounces that are taken 3 times per day for a total of 6 ounces per day. Perhaps this is something to think about if you feel the need to raise the pH quickly.
He also recommends taking 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice in 4 ounces of water and drinking this 3 times per day which will also cause an alkaline reaction following digestion.
Another product that can help to raise the pH faster than diet alone is Swanson Alkalizing Formula, which could be taken a couple of times per day until the pH reaches 7.2-7.4.
Dr Majalca mentions that 1 tsp of baking soda in a 4 ounce glass of water will help to eliminate the lactic acid buildup that occurs around cancerous tumors, therefore it could be used as a natural pain reliever. Read more about this and contraindications here: sodium bicarbonate and cancer
Do not over-alkalize the body believing that this is a good thing. Having an overly alkaline body is just as harmful as being overly acidic. Just get to 7.2-7.4 where cancer cannot survive and the pH is balanced.
When Jessica met Dr Bernardo she was working as the executive producer for the independent film “icurecancer.com”, a documentary about healing cancer naturally. Please visit their website for more information.
Poly MVA- Although Jessica credits poly MVA as part of her treatment, it should noted that this is not a stand alone therapy. There are many people who put their faith in this supplement and although it seemed to work initially, many had their cancers return because they did not address the root cause of cancer- which, according to Dr Majalca is acidosis of the body.
An update on Jessica: I am sad to report that Jessica passed away on November 23, 2013 following a sudden relapse of her cancer, yet this was more than 10 years after being told that she had only 90 days left to live back in 2002. I was informed by one of her friends that prior to the recurrence she had experienced a very stressful situation and had stopped following her diet and supplement routine and that the cancer came back with a vengeance. Whether this is true or not, I think it is essential that one plans on making their dietary and lifestyle changes a permanent part of their routine. This, along with practicing stress relieving techniques that can be employed when stressful situations arise. RIP Jessica.