What is cachexia?
One of the most frightening symptoms of advanced cancer is cachexia (or wasting), which is a severe, unintentional loss of weight. According to the National Cancer Institute, “It is estimated that half of all cancer patients experience cachexia, which is the rapid loss of weight accompanied by fatigue, weakness, and a loss of appetite. Cachexia is a serious problem among many patients with advanced cancer.”
Cachexia is a vicious cycle that occurs when cancerous tumors consume blood glucose which produces a lactic acid by-product (or acidic waste). This lactic acid then goes to the liver where it is converted back into glucose to once again be used by the cancer. The more glucose in the blood, the more acid is produced…..and the cycle continues.
This process is called gluconeogenesis and it consumes enormous amounts of energy. The cycle will eventually cause the body to start breaking down its own tissues in order to “feed” the cancerous tumors. Dr. Harold Dvorak, former chief of pathology at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, states “In a sense, nobody dies of cancer. They die of something else – pneumonia, or failure of one or more organs. Cachexia accelerates that process of infection and the build-up of metabolic poisons, this process causes death much faster than the tumor would.”
Lactic acid buildup can also be a contributing factor to cancer-related pain because of the irritation that it causes to the nerve endings of the body. So theoretically, if you can eliminate the buildup of acids, you might also be able to provide some relief from cancer-related pain. The following natural remedies are said to help eliminate the buildup of the lactic acid as well as provide fuel to the weakened cells of the body, and this may stop the deadly cycle of cachexia.
There are two protocols listed below that can help with cachexia, along with some supplements and nutritional recommendations.
The MSM and liposomal vitamin C protocol for cachexia
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic sulfur-containing compound that is used to improve immune function and lower inflammation. It can help to neutralize lactic acid buildup, and bring oxygen to the cells. It also has the ability to kill the microbes that reside within cancerous cells and promotes detoxification of the body
Vitamin C is responsible for wound healing and immune system function, and in this case, it can work to transfer fuel into the weakened cells of the body. In addition, when vitamin C is taken in high enough doses it is selectively toxic to cancerous cells.
- The best way to ingest MSM is by making MSM water. This is done by mixing 1 gallon of purified (non-chlorinated/fluoridated) or distilled water with 16 tablespoons of Pure Organic Sulfur Crystals into a glass container. Shake this mixture well and allow the MSM granules to fully dissolve for about one hour and then store this mixture in your refrigerator. Must be glass container!
- It is important to do a self test with 1 tsp of sulfur water to test for any allergies to the sulfur (this can include nausea or a rash) before starting any kind of protocol with MSM. If you have these symptoms you cannot do this protocol.
- After a successful self-test, you can slowly begin the protocol
- The recommended starting dosage is 4 tablespoons of the water followed a half hour later by 2,000 mg of Liposomal Vitamin C.
- The water/vitamin C dosage is taken two times per day at the beginning, and then one can slowly start building up to higher dosages.
- The eventual protocol would be 12 tablespoons of MSM water followed 1/2 hour later by 2,000 mg of vitamin C and doing this up to 5 times per day for those doing the full protocol.
- It is important that you stay hydrated by drinking ½ of your body weight in ounces of purified water per day. (purified because the chlorine will neutralize the effectiveness of the MSM.)
- Get out in the sun during the day for 30 minutes without sunscreen, whenever possible.
- Add 1/2 tsp of Real Salt, which has minerals that are needed by the body.
- Add 2 drops of 5% Solution of Iodine into your drinking water.
- This protocol combines well with detoxing baths, saunas, and coffee enemas in order to assist the liver in clearing away any toxins.
- Precautions for MSM:
- Do not do this protocol if you are allergic to sulfur products
- Allergies to sulfur can include nausea or a rash. If you have any of these symptoms after doing the self-test, you cannot do this protocol.
- Do not take with aspirin or any other type of blood thinners
- Do not drink chlorinated tap water at all when doing this protocol
- Only use pure organic sulfur crystals with this protocol
The Hydrazine Sulfate Protocol
Hyrazine sulfate is a compound that has the ability to shut down the enzyme that is responsible for producing glucose from the lactic acid byproducts produced by the cancer, thereby stopping the cycle of cachexia.
- Cancer Tutor recommends this website as an online vendor of hydrazine Sulfate.
- A very specific diet protocol must be followed when taking Hydrazine Sulfate, you can read more about that and other contraindications with this link.
Supplements that can help with cachexia
D-ribose– is a unique 5-carbon carbohydrate that is a fundamental building block of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the source of all cellular energy. Cancertutor.com states that anyone suffering from cachexia should begin taking D-ribose to help transfer energy to the weakened cells of the body. You can find D-Ribose on Amazon.com
- The standard dosage is 15 grams per day, taken in divided doses, but this dosage can be increased as needed.
- D-ribose combines safely with other alternative protocols.
Magnesium– plays an important role in cell health and is an active component in more than 300 biochemical reactions within the body. Health benefits of magnesium include: maintaining normal muscle and nerve function, keeping the heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and helps to keep your bones strong. Magnesium can help to regulate blood sugar, lower blood pressure, and is involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. Magnesium also has the added benefit of helping to rid the body of excess lactic acid buildup. Optimal levels of magnesium can be achieved through supplementation, by taking a bath in 2 cups of Epson salts, or with transdermal application with Magnesium Oil. Taking oral magnesium may temporarily alkalize the stomach acids so it is best to take it on an empty stomach so that you don’t interrupt the digestion process, close to bedtime is actually preferable as it will help you to relax and sleep well. Acceptable forms of magnesium supplements include Magnesium Glycinate or Magnesium L-Threonate.
For Additional Nutritional Support
- A high protein shake that can help put weight back on: 2-4 raw pasture-raised eggs, 2 tbsp of almond butter, hemp protein powder, almond milk or coconut milk, fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 bananas, add ice and then blend until smooth. You can find more smoothie recipes with this link.
- Functional Formularies Liquid Hope: is a shelf stable organic, whole foods feeding tube formula/ meal replacement product that can be used in place of high glucose feeding products such as Ensure.