What is leaky gut syndrome?
One serious health issue that many people unknowingly suffer from is leaky gut syndrome. This occurs when the lining of the gut is chronically inflamed and nutrients are not being absorbed as they should. Additionally, small fissures open up in the membrane that lines the intestinal tract and this allows bacteria, toxins, and undigested food molecules to slip into the bloodstream where they are considered to be foreign invaders by the immune system. Once this foreign matter is detected the white blood cells rush to surround the offending particles and systemic inflammation ensues.
Allergies develop when the body produces antibodies to these undigested proteins. These antibodies can trigger an inflammatory reaction the next time that food is eaten. According to holistic health practitioner Dr. Zoltan Rona, “If this inflammation occurs in a joint then autoimmune arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis) develops. If it occurs in the brain then myalgic encephalomyelitis (i.e. chronic fatigue syndrome) may be the result. If it occurs in the blood vessels then vasculitis (or inflammation of the blood vessels) is the resulting autoimmune problem. If the antibodies end up attacking the lining of the gut itself, the result may be colitis or Crohn’s disease. If it occurs in the lungs, asthma is triggered on a delayed basis every time the individual consumes the food that had triggered the production of the antibodies in the first place.”
Symptoms and health problem associated with leaky gut include:
Early symptoms include food allergies, eczema, psoriasis, hives, and acne, but the bacteria and the toxins that are released through the intestines can lead to more serious issues such as inflammation, heart disease, fatty liver disease, insulin resistance, autoimmune disorders, cancer, celiac disease, ADHD, irritable bowel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia, autism, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
Because of the serious nature of the illness, leaky gut syndrome is viewed by many alternative health practitioners as the spark which can ignite a firestorm of inflammation, and this is a leading cause of many illnesses, including cancer. You can read more about that with this link.
How to heal a leaky gut.
- Eliminate common food allergens, some of these include wheat, gluten, dairy, corn, eggs, and soy. You can do an elimination diet to see what your dietary triggers are.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet that consists of mostly plant-based foods that are eaten in their natural form.
- Include juicing vegetables and nutritious smoothies in your meal plan.
- Eat naturally fermented foods. These foods are easy to digest and contain beneficial bacteria that can assist in the digestive processes.
- Eliminate sugar in all forms (except for natural sugars from fruits). Read an article about sugar and cancer
- Make homemade bone broths that nourish the body and are soothing to the gut lining.
- Aloe Vera Juice can soothe and heal a damaged gut lining.
- Ginger root that is freshly grated can be added to your food, or taken as a supplement can help to soothe inflammation of the body as well as aid in the digestive process.
- Include Digestive Enzymes to help break down foods. A lack of digestive enzymes may present itself as heartburn, gas, constipation, bloating, allergies, ulcers and a general fatigue. Read more about enzymes.
- Curcumin, licorice root and slippery elm powders can be helpful to heal a leaky gut.
- Do an appropriate Cleanse for the Liver and Colon and then replenish the beneficial gut bacteria with a Probiotic Supplement.
- Medications such as antibiotics, steroids, anti-inflammatory drugs, acid blockers and hormone therapies all have a detrimental effect on the good bacteria within the gut. Rethinking these strategies for more natural approaches may be in your best interest.
- Cellular toxicity is the cause of cancer
- Anticancer diet and lifestyle plan
- Detoxing therapies for the body
- Systemic enzyme therapy
The Anti-cancer Revolution webinar is available from June 17-23rd. This is a free online event that features some of the world’s top natural healing experts, integrative doctors and naturopathic oncologists who will share information on natural ways to heal from cancer. This webinar series will include information on nutrition, essential oils, supplements, homeopathy, cellular detox, fasting, ozone therapy, botanical chemo, hyperbarics, epigenetics and much more!