Your Lymphatic System
This system includes your tonsils, thymus, bone marrow, spleen, lymphatic fluid, vessels, and lymph nodes. It consists of 20 trillion cells that work as your police force and garbage collectors that are responsible for killing off the bad guys that are no longer participating in the natural processes of your body, these include cancerous cells, yeasts, bacteria, viruses, and waste products. “Kill the bad guys and take out the trash.” That is what your immune system is supposed to do, but if you have cancer, something has gone wrong with your immune system.
How Your Lymphatic System Works
The lymphatic system bathes the cells in fluids as it cleans away debris and filters it to the appropriate receptacles for removal through the various systems of the body such as the skin, respiratory, sweat, urine, and stool. Your kidneys filter your blood, while the liver and spleen work to detoxify excess hormones, neurotransmitters, dead or damaged cells, bacteria, and toxins to processes them for elimination. If your lymph system stopped working for any reason you would die of toxicity within a matter of hours. You have about three times more lymphatic fluid than blood, yet this system has no dedicated muscle to pump the fluid that circulates through a vast network of capillaries and ducts. Its pulsing can only occur with the force provided through movement of the body or through the act of breathing.
Health problems can arise when we are dealing with toxic burden, stress, or a lack of proper nutrients from the diet. One can begin to heal these issues by implementing significant diet changes to address any nutritional shortfalls, employing stress relieving techniques, and then work on getting your lymphatic system working efficiently once again.
Video of how the lymphatic system works
The lymph nodes hold onto toxins until the body is able to purge them in a safe manner. These wastes are acidic and the body needs to neutralize these acids before they can be cleared from the body. An alkaline-based diet along with herbals and various detoxing protocols can assist with this process.
You can also assist the body in purging these toxins by ensuring that the detoxing pathways of the body are clear and functioning. These pathways include the colon (by having at least 1-2 bowel movements per day), the kidneys and bladder (by drinking 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of pure water per day to flush out toxins), the skin (through sweating and skin brushing), the lungs (by deep breathing exercises), and through with emotional cleansing (by forgiving others and employing relaxation techniques).
Ways to encourage the lymphatic system to work more efficiently:
- Fruit fasting and herbs.
- Stay hydrated- this helps the body to flush out the toxins. You can do this by drinking 8-10 glasses of pure water daily.
- Rebounding, or light jumping on a mini-trampoline
- Lymphatic massage with castor oil
- Bio-mat therapy
- Deep breathing to expand your chest fully and then exhaling slowly as you become conscious of your breath. Visualize your lungs breathing in fresh clean air and releasing toxins on the exhale.
- Movement such as: walking, biking, swimming, stretching, and yoga can help to circulate the lymph fluids.
- Dry skin brushing- the skin is the largest elimination system of the body, dry brushing can stimulate this system to work more efficiently.
- Contrast hydrotherapy- hot/cold shower therapy
- Sleeping on your left side encourages the lymphatic system to drain more efficiently. This is because the left side of the body is the dominant lymphatic side and gravity can facilitate lymphatic drainage and make this system more efficient at filtering toxins while you are sleeping. Left side sleeping also benefits the digestive system as food waste can continue to move from the stomach into the small intestine and stomach acid will not travel back up into the esophagus and create heart burn.
- Using an Infrared Sauna System can help the body to rid itself of accumulated toxins through sweating. Multiple studies have shown that saunas are effective in removing solvents, organic chemicals, PCBs, pharmaceuticals, and heavy metal toxins from the body. The high temperatures of saunas can also give your immune system a boost by increasing the number of white blood cells that fight infections by as much as 58%. Your T cells (which are the cancer killer cells) and antibodies can increase by as much as 2,000% with a sauna. Additionally, many microbes cannot survive in a heated environment so many will die off with exposure to the heat. Experts recommend the first session only be about five minutes, and then gradually increase each session until you reach 15-30 minutes and then continue to do them regularly.
Using fruit, juices, and herbs to cleanse the lymphatic system
To address a stagnant lymphatic system use a combination of fresh fruit fasting, juices, and herbs to get things moving again
Fresh fruit fasting- raw fruits have astringent-like qualities that work to cleanse the lymphatic fluids and keep them moving. They can also be cleansing for the kidneys. Some fruits to include are: red grapes, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, cherries, pomegranates, cantaloupe, pineapple, watermelon, lemons, limes, and oranges. If you are going to do a raw fruit fast to cleanse the lymph system, this should be done in combination with the herbals that are listed below.
Lymph cleansing herbs and supplements:
- Black Radish supports the lymphatic system and encourages detoxification.
- Juice of Oregano can also be used to cleanse the lymph. The ideal dosage would be 3 T taken twice per day. You should start slowly to buildup to that dosage.
- Dr. Christopher’s X-IFNX contains a variety of herbs that reduce inflammation, kills infection, and clears toxins from the lymphatic system.
- Drinking fresh made juice can be included in your fast that includes beets, asparagus, celery, cucumber, ginger root, carrots, lemon and parsley.
This consists of aerobic bouncing in the form of jumping jacks, twisting, running in place, dancing, etc on a mini trampoline to get your lymphatic fluids pumping and your body sweating out toxins. Even if you are too weak to jump, you can still sit on the Mini Trampoline/rebounder and bounce gently in order to stimulate this system. A typical routine is to warm up for a couple minutes with light bouncing, then do 5-10 minutes of strength and aerobic bounce variations, and then cool down with a couple more minutes of light bouncing.
- Rebounding stimulates the millions of one-way valves that make up the lymphatic system. This action benefits the immune system’s capacity for fighting disease, destroying cancer cells, eliminating antigens, and preventing future illness.
- White blood cell counts can nearly triple following rebounding which will provide a greater defense at destroying cancerous cells
- It circulates oxygen to all of the tissues and cells.
- Just 2 minutes of rebounding offers the equivalent physiological benefits as 6 minutes of running, 10 minutes of swimming and 22 minutes of walking.
- It provides an increased G-force (gravitational load), which benefits the body by strengthening the musculoskeletal systems.
- Protects the joints from the chronic fatigue and impact delivered by exercising on hard surfaces.
- Has been shown to benefit body alignment and posture.
- Enhances the digestion and elimination processes.
How to use a rebounder to move the lymphatic fluid.
Lymphatic massage with castor oil
This is helpful because when Castor Oil is absorbed through the skin, the lymphocyte cell count increases. Having an increased lymphocyte cells will speed up the removal of toxins from the tissues and helps promote a state of healing. A castor oil massage is reported to be especially effective when done along the spinal column and massaged along your lymphatic pathways that line the spine on either side. One way to do this is to have your partner use their thumbs or the knuckles of both index fingers to apply circular pressure between the ribs up and down the spinal column.
- You can read more about castor oil massages and castor oil packs with this link.
- You can also combine castor oil with Rocky Mountain Lymph Essential Oil Blend for this massage.
Provides a combination of deep heat, negative ion technology, infrared light, pulsed magnetism (PEMF) therapy and amethyst crystals to promote detoxification and relaxation. You can find Far Infrared Amethyst Biomats with PEMF technology from online vendors or on Amazon.com.
Dry skin brushing
Dry brushing can help to stimulate this system to work more efficiently
Yoga / Movement
- Reduces stress: patients who practice yoga had lower levels of stress, anxiety, and depression than those who didn’t practice yoga, according to a study published in 2009.
- In a pilot study published in 2006, researchers found that a seven-week yoga program significantly improved the quality of life for cancer survivors. The researchers also observed a significant improvement in emotional function among the study’s 20 yoga-practicing participants.
- Enhances sleep quality- A 2004 study of 39 lymphoma patients indicated that attending a weekly yoga session may help reduce sleep disturbance, improve sleep quality, lengthen sleep duration, and reduce the use of sleep medications.
- Read more about the health benefits of yoga
Video – Yoga for Beginners
The hot/cold alternating shower is good for anyone with cancer because of the need to increase the circulation of the lymphatic system. Taking a shower that alternates between very hot and very cold water can work to stimulate this circulation system, decrease inflammation, improve elimination, and bring needed oxygen into the body. Hot and cold hydrotherapy is performed in the shower by having very hot water on your body for a couple of minutes and then switching to very cold water for one minute. Then back to hot and again back to cold. The hot water circulates the red blood cells up toward the surface of your skin, then the cold water draws the red blood cells back down deep into the organs. The action of going back and forth is what gets the circulation moving. Repeat the hot and cold action for at least three to five cycles, finally ending at a neutral temperature. Read more about contrast hydrotherapy
The benefits of contrast hydrotherapy
Detox with a Bath
- Epson Salt Bath– Have a long soak in an Epson salt/baking soda bath which can help to mobilize toxins out through the skin. Add one cup of Epson salts and 2 cups baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to a warm bath and soak for 30 minutes. Rinse with water when finished. This particular bath would be especially beneficial for those with solid tumors who are eating a mostly vegetarian diet in order to remove toxins and acids from the body.
- ACV/Clay bath– Mix one cup of organic apple cider with 1 cup bentonite clay to form a paste and then add to a warm bath and soak for 30 minutes. This bath is very beneficial to those with immune system cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma. This bath can be done daily during times of intense toxicity.
- Read more about cancer specific diet and supplement therapies.
Remove your bra
Tight bras severely restrict the both blood and lymph fluid from circulating throughout the breast area. The circulatory system brings much needed oxygen-rich, nutrient-filled blood to the area. It also removes the accumulated toxins and carbon dioxide. Both are very important and are often impaired by wearing a bra.
In the book Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras, the authors present some shocking statistics regarding the length of time a woman wears a bra and her increased risk of developing breast cancer.
- Women who wear a bra 24 hours a day have a 3 in 4 chance of breast cancer.
- Women who wear a bra more than 12 hours a day (though not to bed) had a 1 in 7 chance of breast cancer.
- Wearing a bra less than 12 hours a day had a 1 in 152 chance of breast cancer.
- Women who rarely or never wore bras had a 1 in 168 chance of breast cancer.
- Never wear your bra to bed.
According to Dr. David Williams, “Wearing a bra at least 14 hours a day tends to increase the hormone prolactin, which decreases circulation in the breast tissue. Decreasing circulation can impede your body’s natural removal of carcinogenic fluids that become trapped in the breast’s sac‐like glands (lymph nodes). These glands make up the largest mass of lymph nodes in the upper part of your body’s lymphatic system.” The mammary glands are filled with lymphatic vessels that move from the breast to the lymph nodes located under the armpit, to the collar bone, and then the thoracic duct. It is through these pathways that the breast drains toxins and keeps its internal environment clean. When something impedes this natural process, the estrogen byproducts become destructive free radicals that can create cellular damage, thus leading to breast cancer. If you must wear your bra, consider wearing one that does not cut tightly under or along the outer edges of the breasts where these milk ducts are located. Also remember to take it off whenever possible to allow your lymphatic system to flow freely.
Don’t wear antiperspirant
You want your body to sweat and release toxins freely. You can make your own deodorant with this recipe:
- 3T baking soda
- 5T arrowroot powder
- 6T shea butter
- 30-60 drops of grapefruit essential oil (or another essential oil with antibacterial properties)
- Mix the baking soda and arrowroot powder together and then add the Organic Shea Butter and your favorite essential oils and whip it until smooth.
- Apply with fingertips to the armpit area
Another option is to put apple cider vinegar in a misting spray bottle and spray my armpit area. I love this idea as it’s an easy and effective way to prevent odor. You can also use apple cider vinegar to mist my hair and face as it helps to balance the pH after a shower. Don’t worry, after it dries you wont smell like vinegar.
Find these products online
- Cellular toxicity is the cause of cancer
- An anticancer diet and lifestyle plan
- Detoxing therapies for the body
- Systemic enzyme therapy