In 1931 Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for his work confirming that cancer cells convert from using oxygen for their respiration needs to fermenting glucose. He stated, “the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar. All normal body cells meet their energy needs by respiration of oxygen, whereas cancer cells meet their energy needs in great part by fermentation.”
Healthy cells burn oxygen and glucose to produce their energy, but when oxygen levels drop below 60%, the respiration process of energy production switches to the fermentation of glucose, thus turning normal cells into cancerous cells. Additionally, fermentation is a form of energy production that is 19 times less efficient than when using oxygen and the process creates a lactic acid by-product that continues to make the body even more acidic.
The liver then takes up this lactic acid and converts it back into glucose, which then goes back to feed the cancer. If this taxing cycle is not addressed at its source this will eventually lead to cachexia, or wasting.
What reduces the oxygen levels in the cells?
- An acidic, low-oxygen environment in the body that is caused by eating diets that are heavy in sugars, dairy, meats, refined grains, fast foods and processed foods. These foods are all lacking in essential micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals); additionally, they will leave behind an acidic ash following digestion, and we are eating too much of them.
- A lack of the proper building blocks for the cell walls that don’t allow for the transfer of oxygen and nutrients into the cells. Cell walls are made up of lipids (fats), and the body will use whatever form of fats that you are consuming, even if they are toxic.
- This lack of permeability of the cell wall will cause a buildup of cellular toxicity which further damages the respiratory mechanisms within the cells, not allowing the cell to breathe and remove waste as it had before, forcing the cell to change in order to survive.
- Poor blood and lymph flow due to a lack of movement and exercise.
1. We can begin oxygenating the body by changing the diet:
- pH refers to “potential of hydrogen” and is a measurement of whether your body is in an acidic, balanced, or alkaline state. The pH scale runs from 1-14, with 7 being in the middle (or neutral). Anything lower than 7 would be within the acidic range, anything above 7 is within the alkaline range. Your goal is to be 7.2- 7.4 where oxygen is plentiful and you are slightly more alkaline than acidic. At this range you are naturally able to resist illness and disease, whereas people who are overly acidic or overly alkaline are more prone to sickness and disease. Read more about acid/alkaline balance
- Alkaline foods are fruits and vegetables. Acidic foods include meats, dairy, whole grains (see the food chart below). 80% of your diet should be in the form of alkaline foods, with only 20% being from the acidic food list. Use the chart below to make healthier options.
- Avoid all chemically-laden processed and fast foods- consider these to be nutritionally dead foods.
- Eat organically grown foods whenever possible – they contain more nutrients without the toxic residues.
- Eat your produce uncooked so that you can benefit from their enzymes- Enzymes assist with the digestion of food, the absorption of nutrients, and the delivery of those nutrients throughout the body. Read more about enzymes.
- Cancer thrives on sugar and anything that the body can convert into sugar such as refined grains, hidden sugars in processed foods, and highly glycemic fruits. Cancer cells have ten times more insulin receptors per cell than normal cells which means that they can suck up the glucose much faster than normal cells and use it to fuel their grow and spread. Read more about sugar and cancer
2. The proper building blocks for the cells are healthy fats:
- Remove the toxic fats that clog our cells- these include trans fats as found in processed foods, baked goods, shortening and margarine-type products. Another to avoid is cooking with refined polyunsaturated fatty acids which are easily oxidized and can form toxic lipid peroxides which can cause cellular damage. These oils can become rancid very easily when exposed to light, oxygen and heat, so oils with high polyunsaturated fat content must be manufactured, transported, and stored very carefully (which they are not). They can also form carcinogens and mutagens when exposed to heat, yet we frequently use these same toxic oils in food manufacturing processes and for home cooking. These oils include corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, sunflower, grape seed, and safflower. Examples of better options for cooking would be unrefined coconut oil, sustainably-harvested palm oil, organic butter, and then use extra virgin olive oil as a finishing oil or for cold uses. I also like to use hemp oil and flax seed oils for salad dressings as well. Adding extra fats allow the body to feel satiated and allows fat soluble vitamins to absorb better. Eating fat doesn’t make you fat, whereas eating simple carbohydrates and sugars will.
- Read more about healthy fats and removing the toxic fats
- Supplementing with the right type of omega 6 and omega 3 essential fatty acids is essential to the body. Those would include taking an unrefined, cold-pressed omega 6 oil supplement along with unrefined, cold-pressed omega 3 oil in a 2:1 ratio which will help to increase oxygen and the nutrient transfer into the cells.
- Read more about essential fatty acids
- A vital nutrient in the production of energy is CoQ10 or Ubiquinol
- Address nutritional deficiencies with a quality bio-available vitamin and mineral supplement
3. Employ a variety of detoxification methods:
- Juice fasting, sweating, skin brushing, herbal remedies, Epson salt baths are various ways to detox the body. Read more about various strategies to detoxify your body.
- Coffee enemas, milk thistle, turmeric, dandelion tea, and cilantro are all good for detoxing the liver. Read more about various strategies to detoxify your liver.
- Remove chlorine compounds and fluoride from your drinking water, they are toxic to the body
- Drink filtered water with fresh lemon as this has a detoxifying effect on the liver and is alkalizing at the same time.
- Use non-toxic cleaning products in the home- vinegar and baking soda works great for most tasks.
- Remember that anything going on your body is going into your body; so look for non-toxic cosmetics, lotions, deodorants, etc.
4. Exercise to increase the blood and lymphatic flow:
- Exercise will help to improve circulation and oxygenate the cells. Walking, stretching, yoga, swimming, biking, hiking, deep breathing, jumping on a Mini Trampoline, etc. Read more about this.
The Prime Cause and Prevention of Cancer
Lecture delivered to Nobel Laureates on June 30, 1966
There are prime and secondary causes of diseases. For example, the prime cause of the plague is the plague bacillus, but secondary causes of the plague are filth, rats, and the fleas that transfer the plague bacillus from rats to man. By the prime cause of a disease, I mean one that is found in every case of the disease.
Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. Almost anything can cause cancer. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. The prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by the fermentation of sugar.
All normal body cells meet their energy needs by respiration of oxygen, whereas cancer cells meet their energy needs in great part by fermentation. All normal body cells are thus obligate aerobes, whereas all cancer cells are partial anaerobes. From the standpoint of the physics and chemistry of life this difference between normal and cancer cells is so great that one can scarcely picture a greater difference. Oxygen gas, the donor of energy in plants and animals, is dethroned in the cancer cells and replaced by the energy yielding reaction of the lowest living forms, namely the fermentation of sugar.
In every case, during the cancer development, the oxygen respiration always falls, fermentation appears, and the highly differentiated cells are transformed into fermenting anaerobes, which have lost all their body functions and retain only the now useless property of growth and replication. Thus, when respiration disappears, life does not disappear, but the meaning of life disappears, and what remains are growing machines that destroy the body in which they grow.
All carcinogens impair respiration directly or indirectly by deranging capillary circulation, a statement that is proven by the fact that no cancer cell exists without exhibiting impaired respiration. Of course, respiration cannot be repaired if it is impaired at the same time by a carcinogen.
To prevent cancer it is therefore proposed first to keep the speed of the blood stream so high that the venous blood still contains sufficient oxygen; second, to keep high the concentration of hemoglobin in the blood; third, to add always to the food, even of healthy people, the active groups of the respiratory enzymes; and to increase the doses of these groups, if a precancerous state has already developed. If at the same time exogenous carcinogens are excluded rigorously, then much of the endogenous cancer may be prevented today.
These proposals are in no way utopian. On the contrary, they may be realized by everybody, everywhere, at any hour. Unlike the prevention of many other diseases, the prevention of cancer requires no government help, and not much money.
Many experts agree that one could prevent about 80% of all cancers in man, if one could keep away the known carcinogens from the normal body cells. But how can the remaining 20%, the so-called spontaneous cancers, be prevented? It is indisputable that all cancer could be prevented if the respiration of body cells were kept intact.
Nobody today can say that one does not know what the prime cause of cancer is. On the contrary, there is no disease whose prime cause is better known, so that today ignorance is no longer an excuse for avoiding measures for prevention. That the prevention of cancer will come there is no doubt. But how long prevention will be avoided depends on how long the prophets of agnosticism will succeed in inhibiting the application of scientific knowledge in the cancer field. In the meantime, millions of men and women must die of cancer unnecessarily.
Instead of viewing cancer as a monolithic “disease,” it makes more sense to view cancer as a symptom of cellular and environmental conditions gone awry; in other words, the environment of the cell has become inhospitable to normal cell function, and in order to survive, the cell undergoes profound genetic changes, drawing ancient genetic pathways which we associate with the cancerous personality ( phenotype). This “ecological” view puts the center of focus back on the preventable and treatable causes of the “disease,” rather on some vague and out-dated concept of “defective genes” beyond our ability influence directly.
It also explains how the “disease” process may conceal an inherent logic, if not also healing impulse, insofar as it is an attempt of the body to find balance and survive in inherently unbalanced and dangerous conditions. Fundamentally, we need to shift our thinking away from the view that cancer is something unnatural that happens to us, to one where we see that cancer is something natural our body does to survive unnatural conditions. Change and improve those conditions, and you do more to change cancer than attacking it as if you were fighting a war against an enemy. Read more in this article- Cancer is a survival mechanism that the body employs to survive in a low oxygen, acidic environment
Copyright © 2014 · All Rights Reserved · Cancer Compass~An Alternate Route. Copying this material and pasting it onto your own website is not permitted. Short excerpts and links may be used provided that credit is given to this website and a link is provided back to this content.