In 1931, Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for his work confirming that cancer cells convert from using oxygen for their respiration needs to fermenting glucose. He stated, “the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar. All normal body cells meet their energy needs by respiration of oxygen, whereas cancer cells meet their energy needs in great part by fermentation.”
Additionally, fermentation is a form of energy production that is 19 times less efficient than when using oxygen, and the process creates a lactic acid by-product that continues to make the body even more acidic.
The liver then takes up this lactic acid and converts it back into glucose, which then goes back to feed the cancer. This process creates a taxing cycle that can eventually lead to wasting (cachexia) if this cycle is not addressed.
What reduces the oxygen levels in the cells?
- An acidic, low-oxygen environment in the body that is caused by eating diets that are heavy in sugars, dairy, meats, refined grains, fast foods and processed foods. These foods are all lacking in essential micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals); additionally, they are all acidic to the body because they leave behind an acidic ash following digestion, and most importantly, we are consuming too much of them.
- A lack of the proper building blocks for cell walls that don’t allow the transfer of nutrients into the cells. Cell walls are made up of lipids or fats, and the body will use whatever fats you are consuming for this even if they are toxic.
- A buildup of cellular toxicity which damages the respiration mechanisms within the cells, not allowing the cell to breath and remove waste.
- Poor blood and lymph flow due to a lack of exercise.
1. We can begin oxygenating the body by changing the diet:
- pH refers to “potential of hydrogen” and is a measurement of whether your body is in an acidic, balanced or alkaline state. The pH scale runs from 1-14, with 7 being in the middle (or neutral). Anything lower than 7 would be within the acidic range, anything above 7 is within the alkaline range. People with a balanced pH are able to resist sickness and disease because their body is naturally able to fight it off. While people who are overly acidic or overly alkaline are more prone to sickness and diseases. Read more about acid/alkaline balance
- Alkaline foods consist of most fruits and vegetables. Acidic foods include meats, dairy, whole grains (see the food chart below). 80% of your diet should be in the form of alkaline foods, with only 20% being from the acidic food list. Use the chart below to make healthier options.
- Eat your produce in its whole, raw form so that you can benefit from their natural enzymes
- Cancer thrives on sugar and anything that the body can convert into sugar such as refined grains, hidden sugars in processed foods, and highly glycemic fruits. Cancer cells have ten times more insulin receptors per cell than normal cells which means that they can suck up the glucose much faster than normal cells and use it to fuel their grow and spread. Read more about sugar and cancer
- Eat organically grown foods whenever possible – they contain more nutrients without the toxic residues.
- Avoid all chemically-laden processed and fast foods- consider these to be nutritionally dead foods.
2. The proper building blocks for the cells are healthy fats:
- Remove the toxic fats that clog our cells- polyunsaturated fatty acids are easily oxidized and can form toxic lipid peroxides which can cause cellular damage. These oils can become rancid very easily when exposed to light, oxygen and heat, so oils with high polyunsaturated fat content must be manufactured, transported, and stored very carefully to remain safe for ingestion. They can form carcinogens and mutagens when exposed to heat, yet we frequently use these same toxic oils in food manufacturing processes and for cooking. Corn, soy, cottonseed, sunflower, and safflower are all polyunsaturated oils.
- Read more about healthy fats and removing the toxic fats
- The right type of omega 6 and omega 3 essential fatty acids are essential to the body so supplementing with unrefined, cold pressed omega-6 oils along with unrefined, cold pressed omega 3 oils in a 2:1 ratio will help to increase oxygen and the nutrient transfer into the cells. Read more about essential fatty acids
- A vital nutrient in the production of energy is CoEnzymeQ10.
- Address nutritional deficiencies with a quality bio-available multivitamin & mineral supplement
3. Employ a variety of detoxification methods:
- Juice fasting, sweating, skin brushing, herbal remedies, Epson salt baths are various ways to detox the body. Read more about various strategies to detoxify your body.
- Coffee enemas, milk thistle, turmeric, dandelion tea, and cilantro are all good for detoxing the liver. Read more about various strategies to detoxify your liver.
- Remove chlorine compounds and fluoride from your drinking water, they are toxic to the body
- Drink filtered water with fresh lemon as this has a detoxifying effect on the liver and is alkalizing at the same time.
- Use non-toxic cleaning products in the home- vinegar and baking soda works great for most tasks.
- Remember that anything going on your body is going into your body; so look for non-toxic cosmetics, lotions, deodorants, etc. Find non-toxic alternatives
4. Exercise to increase the blood and lymphatic flow:
- Exercise will help to improve circulation and oxygenate the cells. Walking, stretching, yoga, swimming, biking, hiking, deep breathing, jumping on a mini-trampoline, etc. Read more about this
The Prime Cause and Prevention of Cancer
Lecture delivered to Nobel Laureates on June 30, 1966
There are prime and secondary causes of diseases. For example, the prime cause of the plague is the plague bacillus, but secondary causes of the plague are filth, rats, and the fleas that transfer the plague bacillus from rats to man. By the prime cause of a disease, I mean one that is found in every case of the disease.
Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. Almost anything can cause cancer. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. The prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by the fermentation of sugar.
All normal body cells meet their energy needs by respiration of oxygen, whereas cancer cells meet their energy needs in great part by fermentation. All normal body cells are thus obligate aerobes, whereas all cancer cells are partial anaerobes. From the standpoint of the physics and chemistry of life this difference between normal and cancer cells is so great that one can scarcely picture a greater difference. Oxygen gas, the donor of energy in plants and animals, is dethroned in the cancer cells and replaced by the energy yielding reaction of the lowest living forms, namely the fermentation of sugar.
In every case, during the cancer development, the oxygen respiration always falls, fermentation appears, and the highly differentiated cells are transformed into fermenting anaerobes, which have lost all their body functions and retain only the now useless property of growth and replication. Thus, when respiration disappears, life does not disappear, but the meaning of life disappears, and what remains are growing machines that destroy the body in which they grow.
All carcinogens impair respiration directly or indirectly by deranging capillary circulation, a statement that is proven by the fact that no cancer cell exists without exhibiting impaired respiration. Of course, respiration cannot be repaired if it is impaired at the same time by a carcinogen.
To prevent cancer it is therefore proposed first to keep the speed of the blood stream so high that the venous blood still contains sufficient oxygen; second, to keep high the concentration of hemoglobin in the blood; third, to add always to the food, even of healthy people, the active groups of the respiratory enzymes; and to increase the doses of these groups, if a precancerous state has already developed. If at the same time exogenous carcinogens are excluded rigorously, then much of the endogenous cancer may be prevented today.
These proposals are in no way utopian. On the contrary, they may be realized by everybody, everywhere, at any hour. Unlike the prevention of many other diseases, the prevention of cancer requires no government help, and not much money.
Many experts agree that one could prevent about 80% of all cancers in man, if one could keep away the known carcinogens from the normal body cells. But how can the remaining 20%, the so-called spontaneous cancers, be prevented? It is indisputable that all cancer could be prevented if the respiration of body cells were kept intact.
Nobody today can say that one does not know what the prime cause of cancer is. On the contrary, there is no disease whose prime cause is better known, so that today ignorance is no longer an excuse for avoiding measures for prevention. That the prevention of cancer will come there is no doubt. But how long prevention will be avoided depends on how long the prophets of agnosticism will succeed in inhibiting the application of scientific knowledge in the cancer field. In the meantime, millions of men and women must die of cancer unnecessarily.
Copyright © 2013 · All Rights Reserved · Cancer Compass~An Alternate Route. Copying this material and posting it to your own website is not permitted. Short excerpts and links may be used, provided that credit is given to Cancer Compass~An Alternate Route and a link is provided back to this content.