What is DMSO?
DMSO – Dimethyl sulfoxide, is a natural compound that is a byproduct of the lumber industry, which suppliea this product to the pharmaceutical industry for use in veterinary care and human use for the treatment of muscle sprains and various other sports related injuries. DMSO promotes healing by increasing the blood supply to the area of the injury and reducing swelling and pain.
Over the past forty years, more than 10,000 articles on the biologic implications of DMSO have appeared in the scientific literature and 30,000 articles on the chemistry of DMSO have also been published. The results of these studies strongly support the view that DMSO is a truly significant therapeutic anti-inflammatory and analgesic compound that holds promise in managing a wide range of debilitating health conditions.
DMSO is already an approved pharmacological agent in more than 125 countries for a variety of applications, but in the US it has only been approved by the FDA for the treatment of interstitial cystitis, which is bladder inflammation. Unfortunately, the vast health-promoting abilities of DMSO has gone unfulfilled to the America public, suppressed by a combination of bureaucratic ineptitude and pharmaceutical industry lobbying. Because DMSO is cheap and natural, pharmaceutical companies would be unable to patent it, therefore no monetary gain would be had in promoting it.
One man at the forefront of research on DMSO is Dr Stanley Jacob, MD, who has conducted studies on its many medical uses since the early 1960s. Dr. Jacob is often called “the father of DMSO” in honor of his life’s work in bringing this unique compound to the forefront of contemporary medicine. Jacobs has served as a faculty member at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland and maintains that DMSO can be an effective treatment for closed head trauma and holds promise for other conditions such as spinal cord injuries and embolic stroke.
“Closed head trauma is severe trauma from a blunt injury, where the head hasn’t been opened,” he explains. “It’s the type of injury that could occur in a car accident, such as a severe concussion causing unconsciousness. With this type of injury, the brain swells against the hard bone of the skull, causing brain cells to die. It also diminishes blood supply and oxygenation, and causes a major shift in electrolytes within the brain. To treat these conditions, DMSO is administered intravenously as soon as possible after the injury occurs.” According to Dr. Jacob, “DMSO is a potent free-radical scavenger and diuretic that reduces swelling and improves blood supply to the brain. This improves blood oxygenation to brain tissue. Injured brain cells often aren’t dead. When these cells get increased blood supply and more oxygen, and when the free radicals are scavenged, dying cells can recover, and brain swelling is reduced very rapidly.”
Dr. Jacob notes that in studies conducted from 1978 to 1982, “we observed that when the human brain was treated with intravenously administered DMSO after a head injury, the swelling could be reduced within five minutes. No other treatment comes close to acting that quickly. In patients given other commonly used therapeutic agents such as intravenous barbiturates, the brain continued to swell. We’ve known about DMSO’s efficacy for this type of injury for a long time.”
Ongoing studies of DMSO’s treatment potential covered a range of conditions, including stroke, breast and prostate cancer, head injuries, bursitis, herpes, retinitis pigmentosa, spinal cord injury, and arthritis.
A few patients have reported a mild headache or chills during IV administration of DMSO, but this a rare occurrence. DMSO has a slight odor like garlic and oysters which may linger for a day or 2 after treatment. DMSO is considered gentle and non-toxic, it does not ordinarily cause nausea or vomiting, nor does it destroy healthy tissue or blood cells such as would occur with standard cancer treatments.
- Alzheimer’s disease- has been shown to dissolve amyloids, the proteins that occur in the hallmark brain lesions of patients with Alzheimer’s and almost invariably lead to the functional loss and eventual death of brain cells.
- Arthritis- because of its ability to penetrate tissues DMSO shows value in reducing pain and inflammation in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and possibly gout.
- Atherosclerosis- In laboratory animals, DMSO has demonstrated its ability to retard the development of atherosclerosis induced by dietary cholesterol, as well as suppress the accumulation of cholesterol in tissues despite severe hypercholesterolemia (elevated blood levels of cholesterol).
- Down’s syndrome- Researchers have noted that when children born with Down’s syndrome were treated with DMSO, mental and neurological functions improved in a number of areas.
- Drug extravasation injury- When chemotherapy drugs exude into surrounding tissues (extravasate), the effects are highly damaging. DMSO application significantly improved anthracycline-associated extravasation tissue injury in a study conducted by Stephen B. Strum, MD.
- Fibromyalgia- according to Dr. Jacob. 70% of fibromyalgia patients he has treated experienced benefits with no side effects. He believes these effects were due to pharmacological actions of DMSO such as free-radical scavenging, analgesia, anti-inflammation, softening of scar tissue, reduction of muscle spasms, and stimulation of healing.
- Herpes- has been used to enhance penetration of alpha-interferon ointment in the treatment of herpes.
- Interstitial cystitis- Instilling DMSO in the urinary bladder is an FDA-approved palliative treatment for this chronic inflammatory condition.
- Malignancy- Researchers concluded DMSO exerts a significant survival advantage in gastric cancer.
- Plastic surgery adjunct- has been shown to aid healing and reduce pain and swelling.
- Prostatitis- Significant symptomatic relief occurred when DMSO was injected by catheter into the prostatic urethra.
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy- helps relieve the pain of this condition, an autonomic nervous system disorder characterized primarily by overwhelming pain in the extremities. Dr. Jacob notes that in Holland, a physician is breaking the law if he does not prescribe topical DMSO for reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
- Scleroderma.-was found to have an anti-inflammatory effect while increasing blood supply to the skin.
- Spinal cord injury- Data shows that if DMSO is given intravenously within the first 45- 60 minutes after injury, the number of laboratory animals that recover was much higher than in those not receiving DMSO. Dr. Jacob says this is an area he would like to pursue, noting, “If we have 10,000 severe spinal cord injuries per year in the US—quadriplegic and paraplegic—there could be fewer patients who will need long-term care.”
- Stroke- DMSO combined with a sugar that fuels energy production was well tolerated in elderly stroke patients, and could be of benefit in reducing neurological disability after stroke.
- Ulcerative colitis- In controlled human studies, orally administered DMSO produced some improvement in the condition.
Testimonial of using DMSO and vitamin C for cancer and cancer-related pain
Stacy Kneeshaw Jett shared her experience using DMSO – Dimethyl sulfoxide liquid for pain. She says: “In the book “Politics in Healing: The Suppression and Manipulation of American Medicine” by Daniel Haley, he writes about a young boy who had cancer. His mother was told by many doctors that: “There’s nothing we can do, take your son home and just make him comfortable” But she would not give up. She took her son to an herbalist and he told her to give her son 7 drops of DMSO mixed in 1/2 cup of Distilled water and 1/2 tsp powdered vitamin C, taken 2 times a day. She did this and her son got better and survived his cancer. I researched DMSO. It is a solvent that is extracted from the bark of a tree and is used as a carrier to deliver various compounds into our cells. If you put it on your skin- it will take everything on your skin into your system. I called the author of the book, Mr. Haley, and spoke with him about this and decided to use the DMSO & Vit. C method as one of my Cancer Healing Protocols and I do feel this had a great beneficial affect. The two things I noticed was a complete relief of pain from a non-cancer related sciatica that I had for 13 years- it just went away in a few days and has never come back. I also benefited from a feeling of well-being. Nothing that created a drugged type of feeling, but rather a very subtle feeling that all was right with the world. This is very helpful when you are dealing with cancer- as nothing seems to feel right with the world if you have pain or anxiety. DMSO helped with both. I used a DMSO solution that was 99.9% Pure, Pharmaceutical grade. DMSO is used as a prescription medication for bladder inflammation. The FDA-approved use of DMSO is for interstitial cystitis in people. It is also approved for other uses in other countries, so if the conventional doctors tell you “That stuff will kill you” as I was told, it doesn’t make sense. DMSO is also approved as an anti-inflammatory treatment for horses with muscle strains, broken bones and inflammation. The racing industry is also a big industry, and if the horses can’t run- well, there go the profits. So I always follow the money for an explanation and for my answers as to why wouldn’t my doctors tell me about thi$? I started with the 7 drops of DMSO mixed in a 1/2 cup of distilled water and 1/2 tsp of Natural Food Based Vitamin C so as not to create any toxicity (except to the cancer cells). I am always leery to use manufactured supplements/vitamins as these can be synthetic or the wrong type- and more often than not- they do not include the natural bio-flavanoids as you find in nature. The dose that I read about was for a young boy, so after a few days of using this mixture, 2 times a day and not dying, I decided to pick up the dosage. I started w/ adding a few more drops. Eventually, I was adding 1/2 cap full of the DMSO for each dosage. I used anywhere from 1/2 tsp to 1 tablespoon of vitamin C. The only negative side effect was a sweet garlic smell, so because of this, I took the mixture right before bed and also tried to use the 2nd dose when I didn’t think I would have to be socializing. But honestly, I knew this effect would be temporary and I wanted to get rid of my cancer- so smelling a little like garlic for a little while was okay. After 3 months of using the DMSO mixture (as well as my green/juicing/ organic/nutritional protocol), I went in for testing to see what my cancer status was. The last time that I saw my doctor he had just pointed out that the cancer “had metastasized to the lower ilium and that I must schedule immediate surgery!” The new scans came up completely clean. I have yet to go back to any doctor for any reason since.
Using DMSO for topical pain: Stacy also writes that she used DMSO for topical pain relief by topically applying a combination of 70% fresh aloe vera gel (obtained from her plants) along with 30% DMSO which was then dabbed (not rubbed) onto the area. DMSO will irritate the skin if used full strength so this product must be cut with something pure such as Stacy did to prevent burns. Care must be taken with this product at all times.
Making a DMSO Salve for pain- can be made by mixing DMSO with Cold Pressed Castor Oil, black seed oil, apricot seed oil, aloe vera gel, Andrographis, Cats Claw, Lilium longiflorum, Curcumin, Quercetin, Resveratrol, Vitamin C powder, Magnesium powder, and powdered ginger. Mix thoroughly and store in a jar. This salve is to be used in the same manner as you would apply castor oil packs (read more about them here) . A typical application would stay on the body for about one hour and be kept warm with the use of a heating pad.
Information and Contraindications for DMSO
- You can purchase DMSO online or at a pet supply store or a horse tack/feed supply store for about $7-10 a bottle.
- Look for Pharmaceutical grade DMSO when purchasing.
- DMSO may interfere or contradict other products and protocols, some of them include Protocel, Entlev, Paw Paw, or graviola, Amazon Factor Protocol, Budwig protocol, Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS), or chlorine dioxide
- DMSO will enhance the absorption of any prescription medications that you are taking and can create a dangerous situation.
- Do not use this if taking chemotherapy.
- pregnant women, those who wish to become pregnant, or those who are nursing should not use DMSO.
- Use a natural form of vitamin C sourced from organic whole foods because your body will absorb synthetic chemicals from the ascorbic acid. That is why Stacy used pure natural vitamin C to avoid anything synthetic.
- DMSO will irritate the skin if used full strength so this product must be mixed with something pure to prevent burns. Remember that whatever you use will be absorbed directly into your skin that is why Stacy used aloe gel that she obtained from her plants.
- don’t let DMSO come into contact with your eyes.
- do not use plastic, latex or rubber gloves, or any other kind of gloves, when handling DMSO. The DMSO may bind to the gloves and take toxic substances into your cells, potentially causing severe illness.
- do not let DMSO come into contact with clothing or other material.
- It should go straight from the bottle, into a mixing bowl that is made from glass, wood, ceramic or metal and then the mixed product should be put on the skin, above (or on) where the cancer cells are located.
- Care must be taken with this product at all times.
Dr Stanley Jacobs discusses DMSO on 60 Minutes part 1
Dr Jacobs part 2
Dr Jacobs part 3