The foundation of any sound healing program must include eating a life supporting, whole foods diet. These are foods that are eaten in their natural form and can include:
- Eating unlimited amounts of fresh vegetables and fruits
- Juicing vegetables. Read more with this link.
- Making nutritious smoothies from fresh or frozen fruits combined with leafy greens
- Eating a variety of raw nuts and seeds. Read how to sprout nuts and seeds.
- Eating healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil. Read more here
- Including some complex carbs, these can include sweet potatoes, yams, black rice, and adzuki beans.
- Eating limited amounts of animal proteins, these can include wild-caught salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, and anchovies, along with eggs from pasture-raised chickens, and nutrient rich bone broths a couple of times per week, as needed.
- You can read more about diet with this post.
Ways to open the detoxification pathways of the body
The next essential component is to assist the body in purging all of the toxins that it has accumulated over the years. In order to remove these toxins, one must first ensure that you are detoxing through all of the available pathways. These include: the colon (by having at least 1-2 bowel movements per day), the kidneys and bladder (by drinking 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of pure water per day to flush out toxins), the skin (through sweating and skin brushing), the lungs (by deep breathing exercises), and through emotional cleansing (by forgiving others and employing relaxation techniques).
Some detoxing therapies include:
- Freshly made juice- made with carrots, beets, celery, apples, cucumbers, greens, parsley and vegetables will help to cleanse the digestive system and support the liver.
- Having a regular “24 hour juice fast”- this also helps to clean out the digestive system and allows the body to go into “repair mode” on a regular basis. That way it can utilize the vast amount of energy that is normally used for digestion to repair, rebuild, and replenish the body instead. Perhaps 1 day per month can be set aside for a juice or smoothie fast.
- Psyllium husks – can assist the liver by absorbing old toxic bile and eliminating it from the body. Bile is not excreted from the body as you might expect, it is repeatedly recaptured and recirculated to be used continuously for digestion. Because of this, it becomes more concentrated with toxins that can lead to all sorts of inflammatory diseases such as gallbladder disease, intestinal inflammation, etc.
- Don’t eat anything from 6:00pm to 6:00am (twelve hour fasting)- this is because digestion takes a lot of energy. Going longer periods without eating allows the body to go into heal and repair mode every night. Continue to drink lots of fluids during this nightly fast to help flush out the system.
- Detox with water and lemon- drinking warm water with fresh squeezed lemon juice first thing in the morning helps to support your digestive system, stimulates the liver, and is hydrating to the body. All of these are factors for effective detoxing.
- Keep the body hydrated– your body needs a minimum of 50 ounces of water per 100 pounds of body weight per day in order to flush toxins out of the body and to stay well hydrated. This water should have minerals– such as found in spring water, or water that has been filtered and then has the minerals added back into it. More info on this below.
- Sweating– through exercise, or with the use of a Infrared Sauna System can help the body to rid itself of accumulated toxins. Intense sweating can help to rid the body of about one-third of the toxic material that your kidneys would normally have to filter from your bloodstream. Multiple studies have shown that saunas are effective in removing solvents, organic chemicals, PCBs, pharmaceuticals, and heavy metal toxins from the body. The high temperatures of saunas can also give your immune system a boost by increasing the number of white blood cells that fight infections by as much as 58%. Your T cells (which are the cancer killer cells) and antibodies can increase by as much as 2,000% with a sauna. Additionally, many microbes cannot survive in a heated environment so many will die off with exposure to the heat. Experts recommend the first session only be about five minutes, and then gradually increase each session until you reach 15-30 minutes and then continue to do them regularly.
- Rebounding~ (jumping on a Mini Trampoline) benefits your lymphatic circulation by stimulating the millions of one-way valves that keeps the lymphatic system flowing. This is the waste removal system of the body and it only works when there is movement of the body. This also is a great exercise for the body and helps to oxygenate the blood. Read more about the lymphatic system.
- Deep breathing– most people are shallow breathers. Here is an exercise to help you become more conscious of your breath. This will also assist your body in becoming better oxygenated, relieve stress, as well as to release toxins. Take a full breath, in through the nose and then expand the chest fully. When you think your lungs are full, then try sucking in just a little more air. Hold this for a few seconds and then breathe out through pursed lips to expel the air out slowly. Repeat this exercise for 5 minutes at a time, and do this multiple times per day or when you need a boost of energy.
- Lymphatic massage– is useful to increase lymph flow and can be beneficial in removing harmful substances that have become stagnated within the tissues. You can purchase Rocky Mountain Lymph Support Essential Oils for this.
- Oil pulling – do this in the morning to remove toxins. Read more about this.
- Skin brushing- your skin is the bodies largest organ and one of the most active. It is responsible for removing about 25% of the bodies toxins that are transported out along with dead skin cells. Use a Skin Brush to help this process along by removing the dead skin cells while stimulating new cell growth. Go over the entire body in the same fashion as demonstrated in the video that is posted below.
- Lymphatic system cleansing bath- add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath and soak for 30 minutes. No need to rinse as the ACV will balance the skins pH.
- Filter your shower water– Use a Shower Filter to reduce your exposure to chlorine compounds and other contaminants via skin contact or through inhalation
- Don’t use a anti-antiperspirant but a natural deodorant instead as this allows the body to still release toxins– an easy version to make at home is to mix unrefined coconut oil and baking soda to form a thick paste, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Store this in a cosmetic tin and apply with your fingers or refill an empty deodorant container. This works great and it allows the body to perspire without odor. Another natural deodorant idea is to use apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and allow this to dry. ACV kills the bacteria which is what causes body odor.
Using herbs to detoxify the Liver and kidneys
- Milk Thistle– is an herb that is known for its healing properties for the liver and consists of a group of flavonoid compounds called Silymarin, which is important in devouring free radicals that can harm healthy cells and prematurely age the body. Supplementing with Milk Thistle may help those suffering from hepatitis, cancer of the liver, cirrhosis, liver inflammation, fatty liver, liver damage, chemical exposure, and Parkinson’s disease. Milk Thistle is also known for increasing the production of glutathione and bile flow, which helps to detoxify, repair and regenerate the liver.
- Bio-available Curcumin is the active ingredient found in turmeric that demonstrates remarkable anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties as well as a host of other health benefits. The Desk Reference to Nature’s Medicine reports that curcumin increases the liver’s bile production which assists in the metabolism of fats during digestion and enhances the liver’s detoxification process. Read more about curcumin/turmeric for cancer
- Alpha Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant shown to decrease the amount of hepatic fibrosis associated with liver injury and cirrhosis of the liver. Because alpha-lipoic acid is fat soluble, it can penetrate the cell membrane to exert therapeutic action. There is also potential for ALA in treating chronic diseases, including various types of cancers.
- Renaltrex Herbal Kidney Formula contains Organic Horsetail, Organic Uva Ursi, Organic Chanca Piedra, Hydrangea, Organic Goldenrod, Organic Marshmallow. Use by mixing the tincture into one gallon of distilled water along with the juice of one organic lemon and one ounce of apple cider vinegar. Drink 4- eight ounce glasses of this mixture per day, for four days.
For detoxing the Colon and Liver
- Colon Cleansing- with Oxy-Powder Colon Cleanse
- Coffee enemas- can be used to detoxify the colon and liver. Link to coffee enemas.
- Castor oil packs – read more about them with this link
- Cleansing and flushing the liver and gallbladder- how to do colon, gallbladder and liver cleansing.
To detoxify heavy metals:
- It would be wise to have your amalgam fillings removed. You can find out more and find a qualified biological dentist with this link.
- Modified citrus pectin- can be a useful tool in the excretion of heavy metals from the body. In a recent study, people were given the brand PectaSol-C for six days and then had their urine tested for heavy metals. Those taking Pectasol excreted much higher levels of metals, for instance, arsenic excretion went up 130%, cadmium was up 150%, and lead was up 560%. Read more about MCP and this study.
- KelaminHM EDTA Chelation Suppositories- can be helpful for removing lead, mercury, aluminum and other metals from the body. This comes in suppository form which allows it to remain in the body for a longer period of time, giving it more time to work. Link to more information.
- Kelacream ETDA Chelation Cream- is used to remove toxic heavy metals from the body, including aluminum, lead, mercury and copper. Simply apply a thin layer to the skin and the ingredients are absorbed easily. Link to more information.
- Cilantro- is an herb for detoxing heavy metals and other toxins that have accumulated in the body. Fresh cilantro can be added to your green smoothies or can be used in general cooking purposes, but look for organic as conventionally grown cilantro is heavily sprayed with chemicals. Cilantro can also be found in supplement or tincture form.
- Chlorella– is another detoxifying agent for mobilizing heavy metals. The nutrients of chlorella are protected by a thick wall that is hard to digest so look for broken cell chlorella when you are purchasing this supplement.
- Chlorophyll- contains a powerful blood purifier that’s said to increase red blood cells and counteract harmful free radicals. It is also one of the best substances for cleansing the bowel & other elimination systems including the liver and the blood. Chlorophyll has the ability to bind to heavy metal toxins (such as mercury) and carry them out of the system.
To detoxify after medical scans and procedures
- Supplement with magnesium glycinate a few days before and after your scans will help the body to detoxify from the procedures
- ACV/Clay bath– mix 1 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup bentonite clay to form a paste and then add to warm bath and soak for 30 minutes. An ACV/clay bath is said to pull toxins from the body. This bath is very beneficial to those with immune system cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma.
- Salt bath– have a long soak in an Epson salt/sea salt/baking soda bath which can help to mobilize toxins out through the skin. Add one cup of Epson salts, 1/2 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and 1/2 cup of sea salt to a warm bath and soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse with water when finished to prevent the salt from drying your skin. This particular bath would be especially beneficial for those with solid tumors who are eating a mostly vegetarian diet in order to remove toxins and acids from the body.
A dry brushing demonstration
Judy Seeger, ND, some quick and easy detox ideas for at home.
Water- your body needs a minimum of 50 ounces of water per 100 pounds of body weight per day in order to flush toxins out of the body and to stay well hydrated. This water should have minerals– such as found in spring water.
Buy a filter or be the filter-Consider purchasing a water filtration system that will remove fluoride, chlorine, and other chemicals and metals that are found in municipal water supplies. A simple carbon filtration system will only remove chlorine so don’t assume that any filter will do. You can find products online that will remove the harmful elements and leave the beneficial minerals intact, such as a Water Filter System.
Recipes to make your water more alkaline:
Recipe #1 – mix one gallon of water with 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt, the juice of 4 organic lemons or limes (and toss in the skins too), 1 tbsp of raw, organic honey, and a pinch of organic stevia (if needed) and drink this throughout the day. Sea salt contains 82 trace minerals which will enhance this water. Lemons and limes will create an alkaline ash following digestion.
Recipe #2- wash 3 organic lemons or limes and quarter them. Blend them up with the skins in 3 cups of filtered water. Strain/squeeze the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and then store it in a mason jar in the fridge. To use, add 1/4 cup of this mixture into a glass of 8 oz filtered water. Drink this mixture 3 times per day. This will help with alkalinity and elimination of toxins.
Recipe #3- adding barley grass or wheat grass powder to your drinking water
Recipe #4- use a Alkaline Ionizer. Ionized water is made up of six molecules of water held together by hydrogen bonds which makes this water more capable of quick assimilation into the cells. This can improve hydration and this water contains up to 30% more oxygen than tap water.