“Mutated cells need the right neighborhood to grow. The way to prevent re-growth could be to just change the neighborhood.” Dr Susan Love, founder of the Susan Love Research Foundation. Another way to phrase this would be to “change the soil” or “change the terrain” so that the seeds of cancer may not take root and grow. One of the most effective ways to change your internal environment is to make adjustments to your diet and your lifestyle.
When starting an anti-cancer diet, some people find it easier to incorporate more healthy foods into their daily food intake before they try to eliminate all of the bad stuff, that way they don’t feel so deprived. Then, when you are feeling comfortable with your new routine, you can set your goals higher, ultimately leading to a mostly raw, organically grown, plant based, whole foods diet.
Eliminate all foods of the foods that promote the growth of cancer:
- Sugar- because cancer metabolizes sugar and uses it for its growth and spread
- All refined and processed flour products because the body will easily convert them into glucose, once again feeding cancer.
- Soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages
- Conventionally-raised meat and dairy products because the animals are given added hormones and antibiotics, and because they are fed genetically modified grains instead of grazing on pastures.
- Unnaturally caffeinated beverages
- Refined polyunsaturated oils such as vegetable, corn, canola, soy, grapeseed, sunflower, safflower as they become rancid from exposure to light, heat and oxygen.
- Margarine, shortening, hydrogenated cooking oil, or other similar fake fats that are made from polyunsaturated oils. Read more here
- Aspartame, Splenda, and other artificial sweeteners
- Processed foods and fast food because they are nutritionally dead foods
- Microwaved foods- cooking with a microwave can harm the nutrients in your foods, read more about this
Eat a nutrient dense diet:
- Fresh vegetables are some of the most nutrient dense foods that you can eat. Some cancer-fighters include bok choy, broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, collard greens, eggplant, green beans, kale, leeks, onions, garlic, sweet peppers, hot peppers, radish, scallions, mustard greens, Swiss chard, tomatoes, peas, summer squash, mushrooms, sprouts, etc. Read an article on nutrient density.
- Fruits have astringent-like qualities that work to specifically target and cleanse the lymphatic fluids which is extremely important when you are healing from cancer. If you are excluding fruit from your diet, you are missing out on an abundance of antioxidants, flavonoids, and anthocyanins that can prevent an reverse cellular damage and reduce overall inflammation. Some powerful fruits to include are: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, grapes, cherries, pomegranates, cantaloupe, papaya, pineapple, watermelon, lemons, limes, and oranges. Raw fruits can be eaten in unlimited amounts by those with cancer. They are very easily digested, therefore they should be eaten separately, or about 1/2 hour before your main meals, or they can easily be blended into your smoothies. A good way to start your day is with a big bowl of fresh fruit to cleanse your digestive system.
- Your goal is to eat 15-20 servings of vegetables and fruits per day.
- Juicing vegetables and making fruit/green smoothies are both excellent ways to increase your overall servings of both of these
- Cooked foods can include sweet potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, black rice, red rice, a variety of lentils, a variety of beans
- Sea vegetables such as kelp, wakame, dulse and nori that provide a natural source of iodine along with other essential minerals.
- Make nutrient-rich bone broths
- Eat a variety of mushrooms, read more about their benefits
- Eat raw walnuts, cashews, pecans, and almonds and their nut butters (except peanut). How to soak and sprout nuts and seeds
- Add hemp, chia, Black Sesame, and freshly ground flax seeds to add essential fatty acids into your diet.
- Animal proteins can include wild caught fish and pastured eggs a couple of times per week, if needed.
- Raw honey can be used as a sweetener, if needed.
Enzymes– whole, organically-raised vegetables and fruits should make up the bulk of your diet, and you should be eating many of them in their whole, raw form to benefit from their natural live enzymes. Cooking and processing food destroys the essential enzymes, as well as many of the vitamins as well. Eating a ratio of 80/20 raw to cooked food is a good rule of thumb to follow. Other ways to increase your enzyme potential:
- Drink green tea a couple times per day. Read more about green tea.
- Water- your body needs a minimum of 50 ounces of water per 100 pounds of body weight per day. This water should have minerals– such as spring water, or water that has been filtered with a Reverse Osmosis system that has the minerals added back into it following filtration. I have an RO machine that adds the minerals back into the water. I then take one gallon of this water and add 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt (which adds trace minerals to the water), the juice of 4 lemons or limes (and toss in the fruit too), 1 tbsp of raw organic honey, and I drink this throughout the day. It is an alkalizing beverage that will help to cleanse the liver too.
Make fresh juice daily
- This is the easiest way to increase your overall servings of vegetables without overtaxing your digestive system
- Preferably using organic vegetables
- Include a variety of fresh greens into your juice as well
- Your goal is to drink about 40-64 oz of fresh juice per day
- It takes a lot of energy to digest foods. Try having a fresh juice / smoothie fast for one day each week to allow the body to use some of that energy toward repair and regeneration instead.
- Read more about juicing vegetables
Make healthy smoothies.
- This is an easy way to incorporate superfoods into the diet.
- Rule of thumb- Blend your fruits to get all of the nutrients in the skins and the fiber which will help the body process the fructose (natural fruits sugars).
- Read more about making smoothies
- A beverage that can be used to help put weight back on if this is a concern for the cancer patient: blend together coconut milk, almond milk, Protein Powder, banana, stevia (if needed), and ice.
- Cooking with saturated fats that are stable such as ghee, unrefined coconut oils, sustainably harvested Red Palm Oil, or organic butter
- Use unrefined cold-pressed olive and avocado oil for cold uses such as salad dressings.
- Include hemp seeds in your diet and hemp oils for making salad dressings. Hemp seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids
- Read more about healthy fats and how to use them
- Supplement with Udo’s Choice Oil 3.6.9 Blend. Essential fatty acids are essential for cellular health yet we do not get enough of them through diet alone. Read more about supplementing with Essential Fatty Acids
- Use Himalayan or Celtic sea salt instead of processed salt as it contains trace minerals
- Use fresh herbs to season your foods
- Turmeric has the most anticancer benefits, add black pepper to help it absorb better
- Season daily with lots of curry powder, cumin powder, fresh grated ginger, and fresh garlic.
- Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin which signals cancer cells to die
- Oregano, basil, thyme, etc.
Detox therapies: Cancer is the result of a toxic body. This list can help get you started on some detoxing therapies to clear away that toxicity.
- Castor Oil Packs
- Coffee Enemas
- Detox Therapies for the Body
- Liver and Gallbladder Flush
- Methylation and Detoxification
- Oil Pulling
- Root Canals and Cancer
- Supporting the Liver
Limit your exposure to chemicals:
- Remove chlorine and fluoride from your drinking water
- Use non-toxic laundry detergents
- Use a non-fluoridated, natural toothpaste. There are several brand on the market, or you can make your own with the recipes below.
- Make a toxin free deodorant with baking soda that is mixed into a paste with some unrefined coconut oil, add a few drops of essential oils such as lavender. Store in a cosmetic tin and apply with fingertips
- Eliminate exposure from other chemicals in your personal care items
- Use non-toxic cleaning supplies or use just use baking soda and white vinegar to clean
- Recipes to make your own natural care products
- Get outside everyday for sunshine and fresh air. Getting about 20 minutes of midday sun is ideal without the use of sunscreens as they block the beneficial rays by 90%. Read more about the benefits of vitamin D here.
- Move more- walk, bike, hike, stretch, yoga, swim, or jump on a Mini-Trampoline to work the lymphatic system.
- Breathe deeply, it oxygenates your body
- Read more about exercises for the Lymphatic System
- Meditate to clear your mind and calm your fears and visualize your healing
- Use prayer and spirituality
Alkaline and Acid Ash – pH refers to “potential of hydrogen” and is a measurement of whether your body is in an acidic, balanced or alkaline state. The pH scale runs from 1-14, with 7 being in the middle (or neutral). Anything lower than 7 would be within the acidic range, anything above 7 is within the alkaline range. People with a balanced pH are able to resist sickness and disease because their body is naturally able to fight it off, while people who are overly acidic or overly alkaline are more prone to sickness and diseases.
When you ingest foods and liquids, the end product after digestion and assimilation of nutrients will result in either an acid or an alkaline-forming effect – these end products are often referred to as an acid-ash or alkaline-ash. All foods and beverages can then be considered either alkaline or acidic based on the ash that is created after digestion. Processed foods, sugar, meat, grains, dairy, soda, coffee and alcoholic beverages are all acidic. Diets which are based on these foods will cause your body to lose precious minerals from your skeletal system in an attempt to re-balance the pH. Acidic cells create an acidic body, and an acidic body is a precursor for disease. Some signs of excess acidity will include fatigue with general aches and pains. Acidosis is especially problematic because it interferes with normal cell function. An example of this is in the production of white blood cells which are essential for a strong immune system. Poor quality white blood cells are produced in acidic environments, making it easy for infections and diseases to take hold. Read more about acid alkaline balance.
Include Anti-angiogenic supplements and foods that promote cancer cell death
Angiogenesis is the process by which new blood vessels are formed and is responsible for much of the growth and spread of cancer. Once a tumor grows to a certain size, the tumor sends chemical signals out that stimulate the growth of new blood vessels that carry the blood to it. If you can stop the tumor from receiving a blood supply, then the tumor will essentially “starve” and die. The following is a list of anti-angiogenic foods and supplements that you could add to your healing protocol.
- Artemisinin (Chinese wormwood)
- European mistletoe
- Grape seed extract
- Green tea extract
- Milk thistle
- Modified Citrus Pectin
Supplements that build up the Natural Killer Cells of the body
- Enzymatic Therapy Cell Fort IP-6 and Inositol
- Host Defense Comprehensive Immune Support
- Transfer Point Beta 1 3-d Glucan
- Life Extension NK Cell Activator Tablets.
Other cancer-fighting diets that may interest you:
- Ketogenic diet for cancer
- Macrobiotic diet
- Anti-candida diet
- Read about alkaline diets
- Low-fat/low-protein/high plant starch diet (aka the John McDougall Diet)
- Cancer cannot survive in an oxygenated alkaline environment
- Spontaneous remissions aren’t so spontaneous after all